Injured rooster

ThePinksters

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2020
We have 7 hens and one Polish Roo who are all right around 4/5 months old. We’ve been gone on vacation for 10 days and have had a tender stopping by every other day to check on them. We returned home today to find an injury on our Roo. It’s at the base of his tail feathers and the hens are pecking at it. I have two questions...First, is this something the girls could have done to him? Second, how should I care for it? I let him out of the coop to free range on his own so the girls can’t peck at it. These are my first chickens, and I have missed them terribly while we’ve been gone. It was so fun to see them get soooo excited when I went to the coop after we got home today. Want to make sure I care for my Roo well, I think he’s going to be a pretty docile guy, but his back is definitely bothering him. Attaching photos.....

Attachments

• EE6EE73E-403C-441A-B0A5-539B56BD4293.jpeg
    EE6EE73E-403C-441A-B0A5-539B56BD4293.jpeg
    690.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 09BFC6BE-3A82-477E-9725-C957531602C9.jpeg
    09BFC6BE-3A82-477E-9725-C957531602C9.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 0
Deffidently something the hens could have done. More likely it was a minor injury that they picked at, I'd flush it with peroxide, then was it, and put some anti-infection ointment on it, such as Green Goo, nothing with plants toxic to chickens, as the hens may eat it, then blue food dye, preferably all natural so no chemicals get into the wound. Blue food dye hides the red from the hens, so they don't peck at it. Hope he feels better.

That’s wonderful advice. Thank you so much! I’ve been scouring the run and coop looking for something that got in, but nothing. I did see one hen peck at him. I will clean it out tonight and pick up some blue food coloring. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom