ben0125

Songster
Oct 7, 2017
New Zealand, Auckland
My Coop
My Coop
my two little silkies are around 3 months old. One I believe is a rooster, and one is a hen. Yesterday while feeding my silkies (Afro & Peep), I saw that Afro had injured her self and was limping. This morning I checked on her and she was still limping. I think the injury was caused by how they sleep? Every night they go into the corner of the run and get as close to each other has possible. Peep is larger then Afro being a young rooster and I think maybe at night he had too much weight on top of her which caused the injury.

So, I was thinking to move Afro into a cat cage with Apple cider vinegar water mixture and some chick grower and also give her a bath but Peep & Afro just hate being apart! They are best friends so I don't know what to do! The cat cage is too small for Peep to fit in by himself, let alone both of them.
Is it okay to leave him lonely for a few days? (We have 4 other chickens outside Afro & Peeps coop but they are scared of them).

Help would be much appreciated!
-Ben

Can you post a picture of her feet tomorrow? Have you tried to get them to roost on a not too high roost? I would make them a short roost, and try to set them on it for several days when she is better. You could separate her in a dog crate, and he will most likely sleep next to it. Start some chicken vitamins containing riboflavin, or crush 1/2 vitamin B complex tablet into her feed. She may be injured or have a vitamin deficiency. Hopefully it is not something more serious, such as Mareks. Make sure that she can reach her food and water. Sometimes a rolled up towel or chicken sling can accomplish that.

Can you post a picture of her feet tomorrow? Have you tried to get them to roost on a not too high roost? I would make them a short roost, and try to set them on it for several days when she is better. You could separate her in a dog crate, and he will most likely sleep next to it. Start some chicken vitamins containing riboflavin, or crush 1/2 vitamin B complex tablet into her feed. She may be injured or have a vitamin deficiency. Hopefully it is not something more serious, such as Mareks. Make sure that she can reach her food and water. Sometimes a rolled up towel or chicken sling can accomplish that.
Thank you, They do not sleep on the roost, we have a prefab coop for them outside and they choose to sleep in the run. Sorry I have not explained it very well :rolleyes:
I meant to say keep Afro inside and have Peep outside in the coop.

When you said her feet were turned in, do you mean that her toes are curled under? Pics can help tomorrow.
I think she was just doing it for a second or so because she isnt doing it now. Ive taken her inside in a cat cage. She has wood shavings as bedding, A towl around the cage so it is kind of dark and she has apple cider vinegar water. I will take a pic soon.

Attachments

• IMG_6598 (1).JPG
    IMG_6598 (1).JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6597 (2).JPG
    IMG_6597 (2).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6596 (1).JPG
    IMG_6596 (1).JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6593.JPG
    IMG_6593.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 20
Sorry your girl is having issues. :(

Wish I could be more help but as of right now, the other poster has already given you all the pertinent information I can think of.

But I will ask a few questions so we can get a better grasp of the whole situation, if you don't mind? No judgement for any answers, just help hopefully.

How many birds do you have total in how much space, both coop and run? What do you feed on a regular basis including treats and supplements? Where did you get these birds and how long have you had them? How old are your four other chicks, how long have you had them, and where did you get them... any health certifying type programs where you are to prevent spread of things like AI and such? What your weather been like, what do you use for bedding? Any recent changes you can think of? How is her appetite and what do her dropping look like?

Sorry for all the questions.:hmm
Hope she makes a nice recovery! :fl

Sorry your girl is having issues. :(

Wish I could be more help but as of right now, the other poster has already given you all the pertinent information I can think of.

But I will ask a few questions so we can get a better grasp of the whole situation, if you don't mind? No judgement for any answers, just help hopefully.

How many birds do you have total in how much space, both coop and run? What do you feed on a regular basis including treats and supplements? Where did you get these birds and how long have you had them? How old are your four other chicks, how long have you had them, and where did you get them... any health certifying type programs where you are to prevent spread of things like AI and such? What your weather been like, what do you use for bedding? Any recent changes you can think of? How is her appetite and what do her dropping look like?

Sorry for all the questions.:hmm
Hope she makes a nice recovery! :fl
She has come from a silkie breeder, we have had her since Christmas, She and her friend live in a prefab coop with the door shut so the other chickens cannot make contact, we feed them a chick crumble LINK, We use wood shavings in the coop but I cannot get them to sleep in the actual coop, they sleep in the run, so they sleep on grass. Weather has been weird, rain off and on, temperatures of around 70. Everything is normal.

Back
Top Bottom