Injury to eye

Jwebb35

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
Central IN
I just went out to give my girls some cold treats and the normal 3 greeted me first and had their fill..then I went to find the girl who gets picked on by only one of my hens.

In giving her, her treat I noticed her eye is a little swollen. Is there anything I can do to help her eye? Is there anything I can do to make this one hen stop picking on her?? 😟

Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20220711_171444354.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220711_171444354.MP.jpg
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 13
General care for the eye would be to clean/flush with saline, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye a couple of times a day. If you can't get Terramycin, then you can use Original Neosporin.

As for her getting picked on, provide plenty of space, extra feed and water stations, places to hide or avoid the offender(s). Chickens are not always nice to each other. Pecking order can be subtle or obvious depending on the flock, but there's usually always going to be one at the bottom of the order. Sometimes it can be hard to watch, but it's the way it is. If she's not being injured badly and not being kept from food/water, let them work it out.

General care for the eye would be to clean/flush with saline, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye a couple of times a day. If you can't get Terramycin, then you can use Original Neosporin.

As for her getting picked on, provide plenty of space, extra feed and water stations, places to hide or avoid the offender(s). Chickens are not always nice to each other. Pecking order can be subtle or obvious depending on the flock, but there's usually always going to be one at the bottom of the order. Sometimes it can be hard to watch, but it's the way it is. If she's not being injured badly and not being kept from food/water, let them work it out.
@Jwebb35

Neosporin is safe for eyes?

Thank you so incredibly much! They free range in our half acre fenced in backyard.. with lots of water stations everywhere and their food is in their open run always full. And I make sure when I bring out little snacks at every girl gets the same amount.. I just don't know why Lottie is being so mean to poor little peckers 😭 thank you for the advice, since she's eating and drinking fine I will just let them sort it out 😬😬😬

Back
Top Bottom