inside - outside chickens?

scootermom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga
I plan to build a run to keep 4-5 hens in while I am not able to "supervise" them around my garden. How will they take to being allowed out of the run on some days but not on others? I don't want to create spoiled chickens who skwawk all the time to be let out - I'm trying to keep the neighbors happy. Thier run will be about 10' x 10', with a house about 6' x 8". Any hen psychologists out there who can offer me some advice?

While I do not regularly free range my birds, they most certainly do know the way OUT!
wee.gif
I don't think hens are that noisy nor do they raise a fuss like my dogs when they want out, but I'll be interested to see what others say. Sounds like your birds will have ample space. My coop and run are similar sizes with 4 birds. I plan on adding more birds and only somewhat increasing the run size this spring. Good luck!

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
You have plenty of space for the birds you have now and probably up to ten or so. Ours free range most every day and expect to be let out every day. Doesn't always work out the way they want. I don't think they are any more vocal on the days they are locked up, than when they run wild. They express their displeasure at us when we are around the coop. If, they have to remained locked up for a few days at a time, I feel bad about it, but then remember that chickens can't count. 1 day or 10, it feels the same to them:p

I am new to raising chickens, just started the end of Sept 08, but we figured out that they do quite well roaming our 1/2 acre yard without our supervisison--at least so far. We recently added 4 RIR to our 4 Plymouths, and they all like free ranging in the backyard. They have a coop to go to at night and when they need to lay an egg, and below is a fenced small pen--intended to be a tractor, but it doesn't move so well.... so, we just let them loose as we go to work. Should we be more worried when warm weather comes along?

My hens are no noisier when I'm delinquent in opening up the run. They mostly stand at the gate looking sad.
Sometimes they are noisy while running around the yard.
I think it depends on which side of the roost they got up on.
wink.png

Imp

Thanks for the responses! Banniste, I used to let my two banty hens (which I no longer have) roam free during the day, but I have a garden to worry about now. From what I've read the hens may ruin my garden - and I'm looking forward to home grown tomatoes and cucumbers!
I'm hoping that my hens will be polite when I let them out, and not make for the "salad bar"!

Mine let me know when they want OUT of the coop. They brrrrrrrraaaaack over & over softly. Their coop is just outside our bedroom so on weekends they start around 6:30a.

I don't think that they make very much noise when they're just in their run. They seem to communicate the most loudly when they hear us.

Mine only free range when we are home, and are in their run the rest of them time. They do let me know that they are unhappy if I don't let them out, but generally just when I come near them and maybe a few minutes after. It's not loud squawks like the Egg Squawk or anything - just very PO'd sounding 'Bawwk, Baaaawwwwk!' I've never been concerned that it makes too much noise for the neighbors, and I don't have a rooster for precisely that reason.

I think they are especially mad when I take their eggs and don't let them out. How rude!

Back
Top Bottom