Insulation for a Northwoods Coop? (Materials)

Wanderingturtles

Chirping
Mar 12, 2023
I am putting up the interior walls for my coop this week and debating on insulating it.
I have lots of old baby and kids clothes that I could put in between the paneling to help keep warm in and any drafts out.
But I’m wondering if just adding interior walls will be sufficient for the cold winter months. (Northern Wisconsin)
The coop/shed is located in a shady area between my house (on the east) and the woods (on the west).

Pics of the walls before interior walls go up, for reference.

Attachments

• 7AAD98EC-DA80-4BE3-BD26-40A354D14767.png
    7AAD98EC-DA80-4BE3-BD26-40A354D14767.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • ED77AE59-B35D-40B2-9AE4-D3EC5D10C98E.jpeg
    ED77AE59-B35D-40B2-9AE4-D3EC5D10C98E.jpeg
    512.6 KB · Views: 7
You don't want to add insulation to the coop. What the birds need for cold winters is lots of ventilation and draft free roosting areas. They are perfectly capable of keeping themselves warm. When you add insulation you are adding a wonderful place for rodents to nest.
Where are you adding ventilation. That coop does not look like it has nearly enough ventilation.

You don't want to add insulation to the coop. What the birds need for cold winters is lots of ventilation and draft free roosting areas. They are perfectly capable of keeping themselves warm. When you add insulation you are adding a wonderful place for rodents to nest.
Where are you adding ventilation. That coop does not look like it has nearly enough ventilation.
It’s an old shed it has the ventilation at the peaks of the eaves on both ends. I was thinking about adding cross breeze fans for that. And I was thinking about adding more/bigger ventilation below those eaves.

It’s an old shed it has the ventilation at the peaks of the eaves on both ends. I was thinking about adding cross breeze fans for that. And I was thinking about adding more/bigger ventilation below those eaves.L
looking into adding soffit vents now. Thanks for the extra eyes on the pics.

Back
Top Bottom