Ventilation for new coop

Bulcaoma

Chirping
Feb 20, 2024
Mid-Willamette Valley, Oregon
I need all your expertise. We've built our first coop and I'm debating the ventilation. Please ignore all the ladders and materials laying around. I see differing advice all over the place.

The roof is metal with eves (2x4s) that are open all the way around and are going to be open with hardware cloth attached. Also, there are 2 windows on the tall south wall and 1 on the west wall. We flipped them so that the screens are on the top (they'll be covered in hardware cloth too). These can be opened as needed. The coop is 12'x8' and 7' tall at the shortest point. There are 18 chickens going into it.

My question is whether I should leave the unfinished sections of the west, south and east upper walls (1ft at tallest) open to get added ventilation or just enclose them. Is this necessary? An option could also be openable hinged sections there.

We are in Oregon in the mid-Willamette valley. Our weather gets into barely freezing small part of the winter, wetter spring and fall, and about a week of 100 late summer.

Thank you so much for the advice.

Attachments

• 20240406_124831.jpg
    20240406_124831.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240406_124803.jpg
    20240406_124803.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 14
You're talking about leaving those currently wood framed squares open on top correct? Yes I would do that - your winters are mild but in summer having all that open as ventilation will be quite beneficial.

If one of those directions is more prone to getting occasional wind/rainstorms directed at it, you can do top hinged covers over those so you can lower them halfway during rainy season and raise them fully during hotter months.

You're talking about leaving those currently wood framed squares open on top correct? Yes I would do that - your winters are mild but in summer having all that open as ventilation will be quite beneficial.

If one of those directions is more prone to getting occasional wind/rainstorms directed at it, you can do top hinged covers over those so you can lower them halfway during rainy season and raise them fully during hotter months.
Yes. Those framed areas.

We are on top of a hill and since 2 neighbors logged their properties the wind has picked up from 3 directions. I believe I'll go with the hinged openings.

Thanks, Rosemarythyme

What I think I'm seeing is an opening 3-1/2" deep all the way around the top of the coop, on all four sides. If it were me I'd probably support the slanted sides right at the walls with a 2x4 along the top of that wall and loose that ventilation. I'd be worried about a strong wind gust hitting that. It looks like a long weak cantilever.

You will probably get some ventilation from the small "peaks" in the metal roof that you are not counting on. I'd still want to cover those openings on the slanted sides with hardware cloth for predator protection but useful for permanent ventilation. I'd expect that to be enough ventilation but it will not hurt to leave those openings on the tall section either.

In the summer you can open the windows for additional ventilation, I would whether you close in the top of the high wall or not. But in winter I'd close those windows.

I'd position the roosts higher than anything you don't want them sleeping on but lower than any winds you may get in the winter configuration. You don't want a breeze hitting them in the colder weather but in the warmer summers a cool breeze could feel good to them.

As you said, you can get different advice. Aart and Rosemary are pretty good so pay attention to what they say.

Yes with that amount of ventilation they will be happy as hens in a worm farm.
I aim to keep my hens at 5c and above over the winter and have polystyrene panels to put over windows if it gets too cold. It works well and the built in ventilation covers the humidity, just. The summers here can exceed 40c so they are the main problems for me and I need to take measures to keep it as cool as possible.
Enjoy the build and the excitement of using their and your new hen home,
Hugz

What I think I'm seeing is an opening 3-1/2" deep all the way around the top of the coop, on all four sides. If it were me I'd probably support the slanted sides right at the walls with a 2x4 along the top of that wall and loose that ventilation. I'd be worried about a strong wind gust hitting that. It looks like a long weak cantilever.

You will probably get some ventilation from the small "peaks" in the metal roof that you are not counting on. I'd still want to cover those openings on the slanted sides with hardware cloth for predator protection but useful for permanent ventilation. I'd expect that to be enough ventilation but it will not hurt to leave those openings on the tall section either.

In the summer you can open the windows for additional ventilation, I would whether you close in the top of the high wall or not. But in winter I'd close those windows.

I'd position the roosts higher than anything you don't want them sleeping on but lower than any winds you may get in the winter configuration. You don't want a breeze hitting them in the colder weather but in the warmer summers a cool breeze could feel good to them.

As you said, you can get different advice. Aart and Rosemary are pretty good so pay attention to what they say.
Ridgerunner, the roof rafters are hung like a home with metal rafter hanger brackets and 'ladders' with 2x4s were also added after pictures to support and secure the angled sides. We finished off the roof with metal trim today also, so the roof ridges don't provide ventilation. Sorry that wasn't made clear. The suggestion of keeping the east and west open angles open all the time sounds good.

Last edited:
I agree, leave them open, but covered with HC to keep other critters out.
Do those windows face south.....and do they open?

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3794191
Aart,

The tall side faces south with the 2 windows the 3rd window is on the west side. And they all open sliding down from the top.

Thanks for location advice too.

Back
Top Bottom