insulation

i never thought of the insulation keeping the coop cool. i just figured it would be really hot in there with it even though i'll have vents. my door for the coop will be inside the run. and the whole wall will be the door with a smaller door for the winter. so in the warmer months, the whole door (wall) will be open. the coop itself will only be 5ft wide by 4 feet high. i saw that on someones BYC page and thought it was a great idea. thank you for the info. it helps.
thumbsup.gif

One thing about sheetrock. It has glass fibres though it to help strenghten it. If you make a straight cut through the paper and snap along the seem you will see the tiny hair like glass fibres. I not sure but I doubt it would be good on their little bellies. Also they use a foaming agent (Industrial soap) to cause bubbles in the sheetrock. Don;t know if that would be fit for aninimal consumption.

Maybe someone else has additional information.

Good luck....

Quote:
glass fibres

Its fiberglass, but not all sheet rock (drywall) has fiberglass in it...

Chris​

Last edited:
welcome to you Keene..I used the styro insulation & then covered it with the clear plastic...do not under estimate your birds.... mine saw bugs crawling under the plastic & pecked thru! That was all it took, they were munching on the styro...had to go to menards & bought a thin white vinyl sheet (4x8ft) and used that to cover the walls....problem solved. It was cheaper & alot easier to handle than plyboard...and it cut with a carpet knife, how easy is that??!!
and yes the insulation works for both of our seasons ... the magic is in the ventilation to moderate temps & keep air quality @ its best.
please feel free to join the 'wisconsin cheesehead' thread listed under where am I, where are you?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Minneapolis - You're gonna like it here!

Definitely insulate. Walls and ceiling. Seal it with plywood (it can be the really thin, inexpensive stuff) and call it a day. You won't regret it.
Don't worry about removing it in summer.
Remember that ventilation is extra important, and put in more than you think you'll need. You can always close it off if necessary, but adding more after putting in insulation will be a bummer.
I used fiberglass batting (because it was cheaper) but to each his own.
Have fun!

ETA: Spend some time on the coop forum for more information on building for our climate. You can always do a search by keyword (see "search" in the blue bar above).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom