Integrating 3 ages

whispurr

Songster
Mar 23, 2022
I have gotten myself into a situation. I have one 1-year old hen, two 5-month olds - 1 pullet, 1 rooster, and a flock of 3-week old chicks. Chicken math got me. So my chicks are quickly outgrowing their space in the coop. At what age would you consider merging everyone? The older 3 chickens are together (kind of) so it would be a matter of introducing the new babies. They are in a cage I had designed into my coop so they can all see each other. I didn't have 19 chicks in mind when I designed it though!

Chicken math - I wanted 8 buff Orpington females and one bo male. But then the black copper Marans were very pretty and reminded me of my beautiful deceased rooster. Ok, get a couple of those, except there's a minimum of 4 female Marans so add 5 chicks more. Ooh, Easter eggers! Add 4 of those. Then they sent me 2 extra chicks. My 8 BOs turned into 19 chicks! I do have a large enough coop and run for 20 so I'm a few over but expecting some loss. We have Marek's, chicks are vaccinated so we'll see!

I am almost constantly cycling chicks into my flock -- which I think makes integration easier because my chickens know that it's normal to have those little newcombers.

What I do is take them out of the brooder at about 4 weeks to put them into the integration pen inside the main coop. They stay there a week and then I open the chick-sized holes so that they can mingle on their own terms and escape when they need to. After another week or more -- depending on how things are going -- I open the pen fully and count them integrated.

Also I have loads of "clutter" in my coop to provide hiding places.

A cluttered run

And roosters, who are quite good daddies, and who protect the chicks.

I am almost constantly cycling chicks into my flock -- which I think makes integration easier because my chickens know that it's normal to have those little newcombers.

What I do is take them out of the brooder at about 4 weeks to put them into the integration pen inside the main coop. They stay there a week and then I open the chick-sized holes so that they can mingle on their own terms and escape when they need to. After another week or more -- depending on how things are going -- I open the pen fully and count them integrated.

A cluttered run

They're 3.5 weeks old and running around the coop while the older chickens completely ignore them. This worked out much smoother than the last batch that I waited about 3-4 months on before turning them loose.

A cluttered run

So everyone is getting along well. The chicks are 4.5 weeks old now. I usually free range but I've been hesitant to let the babies out for their safety. At what age do you think they'll be safe(er) outside? I feel bad for my 3 adults that are confined with them. Thanks!

They're 3.5 weeks old and running around the coop while the older chickens completely ignore them. This worked out much smoother than the last batch that I waited about 3-4 months on before turning them loose.
Probably smoother because the younger chicks present less of a challenge to the older birds than teenager chicks do.

Hard to say about free ranging, without knowing what your terrain is like, but I would think the young ones would follow the lead of the old ones.

When I let my littles loose from their pen-within-a-coop, they automatically free range. But that doesn’t mean they actually venture out on the first day. When they do venture out (the first brave ones) they often get “lost” since they don’t know their way around yet. If I find one crying all by itself on the wrong side of the building, I herd it back to where it can see the door and the other chicks. In no time, the whole group has figured out how to get around. I love to see little tiny mini chickens running around acting like big chickens!

So everyone is getting along well. The chicks are 4.5 weeks old now. I usually free range but I've been hesitant to let the babies out for their safety. At what age do you think they'll be safe(er) outside? I feel bad for my 3 adults that are confined with them. Thanks!

I'm afraid I can't help with that. I don't free range.

well i'd say after a couple days of the chicks being outside in a smaller cage the best way to introduce them to older hens and roosters is to have the smaller pen the chicks are in in the run were the older chickens are and let them meet each other with a wall between them so the chicks are safe from being attacked.

Back
Top Bottom