Integrating Bantams with Current Meat/Egg Flock

Kate F

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2015
Spencer, IN
So, I have 3 older Rhode Island Red pullets, 4 younger BOs and 4 younger Black Sex Link pullets, 2 younger BO roosters (we'll keep one, just waiting it out for now) and one older mixed rooster.

I now have 4 young Slkies and 4 young Cochins that have their own enclosed run in preparation to letting them out into the flock. All except our new Bantams (so far) are free range (one of the RIRs is currently broody, whole other topic). So, is it safe to let the Bantams out with the rest of the flock once they are a little older? Just curious since they are so small, I'm worried about how well or not well the big girls will get along with them, eventually. Also, do I have to worry about the big roosters trying for the Bantams? I am pretty sure I have one Silkie rooster and 2 Cochin roosters (one will likely have to go).

Thanks....I love all my babies!

I have two separate flocks, my large breed and my bantam flock. They both free range in the same area, but the bantams have their own coop and run and will often just stay in there.

The bigger birds will sometimes chase them. I recommend keeping your bantams separately from you large breeds as far as housing, especially since you have silkies. They should be able to range in the same area like mine do as long as they have a place to go back to without being harassed.

I have free ranged together my bantams (Cochin and Silkie) with large breeds and have chosen to keep them separate.

I live in a place that hawks are abundant and found that bantam Cochins and Silkies, with their heavily feathered waddling ways, are simply easy hawk bait.

I also live in an area with abundant rain, and the heavy foot feathers of Silkies and Cochins makes them more prone to bumble foot from the massive mud balls they acquire on free range.

Finally, the large fowl tend to pick on them, even the very babes they brooded (my reason for keeping my bantams is they are broody prone). More than once I have seen my large hens pick on the small girls.

After I maintained a rooster, he does better in keeping the squabbles down, but your large rooster will mate your smaller bantams. Some of them are simply too small for a large male's weight.

So all told, in my conditions, I keep my broody ladies properly housed in a separate coop with attached wired and netted run where they can be happy mothers and birds separate (though can see through the fence) my main flock. They honestly seem happier to be by themselves.

My experiences.
LofMc

Back
Top Bottom