integrating chickens of different ages and genders

zagmum

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2017
Clovis, California
Hello, I have 13 older chickens that are in their own coop. I recently took in 22 new chickens. I have 1- 3.5 month old, 5 -7 week olds, and 16-2 week olds. The 3.5 month old I suspect is a cockerel and out of the 5- 7 week olds I suspect 3 might be cockerel (it is so hard to tell). The are in the same coop right now but should I separate the 3.5 month old and keep him/her solo? I have the 2 week olds separated in little brooders until they are ready to go out to the big coop. I am wondering also about what to do with the roosters? I don't really want roosters because I do not really want to deal with fertilized eggs, all the mating, etc. I have considered trying to sell them but since selling roosters is not the easiest (from what I have been told) I have also thought about keeping the roos and then eating them when they get big enough. If I end up with multiple cockerel, can I keep them separated in their own area until I figure out what I will do with them? Will they fight too much? When do they start to want to mate? When will I hear them crow? So far the 3.5 month old suspect cockerel is very mellow, gentle, friendly, and easy going. No crowing yet though. Sorry for all the questions, I have never had cockerel/roosters before so I am not sure how to do any of this. thank you in advance for any and all advice!

Hello, I have 13 older chickens that are in their own coop. I recently took in 22 new chickens. I have 1- 3.5 month old, 5 -7 week olds, and 16-2 week olds. The 3.5 month old I suspect is a cockerel and out of the 5- 7 week olds I suspect 3 might be cockerel (it is so hard to tell). The are in the same coop right now but should I separate the 3.5 month old and keep him/her solo? I have the 2 week olds separated in little brooders until they are ready to go out to the big coop. I am wondering also about what to do with the roosters? I don't really want roosters because I do not really want to deal with fertilized eggs, all the mating, etc. I have considered trying to sell them but since selling roosters is not the easiest (from what I have been told) I have also thought about keeping the roos and then eating them when they get big enough. If I end up with multiple cockerel, can I keep them separated in their own area until I figure out what I will do with them? Will they fight too much? When do they start to want to mate? When will I hear them crow? So far the 3.5 month old suspect cockerel is very mellow, gentle, friendly, and easy going. No crowing yet though. Sorry for all the questions, I have never had cockerel/roosters before so I am not sure how to do any of this. thank you in advance for any and all advice!

To start, I wish I was close because I would take all your free roosters, because I can take then 2 hours way and get $10 to $20 each for grown ones---according how big they are--even seen them go for $22 before. The reason is this Auction has Meat Buyers there----they buy them and resell to their sources. I do not know about your area----you might not have a place like that with in 20 hours of you??? LOL

As far as the chicks---mixing chicks 2 or 3 weeks apart is usually not a problem, but mixing some that are 2 or 3 months apart in age can lead to the younger getting picked on bad, Soooooooo I never mix them until they are adults----big enough that they can take care of themselves. If you are going to try---you will just have to keep a eye on them for the first few hours/days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom