Integrating different ages

Keggen

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Minnesota
This is our first year with ducks and I'm still learning about them. I have a group of 4mixed breeds that are only 1 week apart in age and I have 9 that are the same age but they're about 4 weeks younger. The size difference is very noticeable. Do I have to wait before I put them together in the same coop? Is there a risk of aggressiveness like there can be with chickens? If I'm supposed to wait do I have to wait until they're the same sizes, which would probably be when they're about fully grown since the 9 are so much younger.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hmmmm you could always separate them with some short fencing till the little ones are bigger. What are the breeds?

I have 2 pekins, they get huge!!! Love them tho! Im not sure how big the others get. I would just seperate them for a little bit, till the others catch up

Yeah I would want to keep them separate until the younger ones catch up. Ducklings can pick on each other and I'd be too worried about them hurting each other or keeping the younger ones from eating/drinking when I'm not around.

The only time I'd house ducklings of different ages together is if I could watch them 24/7. Currently I have two 6ish week old muscovy ducklings and I'd put ducklings that are 4 weeks younger than them with them but that's only because I'm with them all day everyday and so I could keep a close eye on them. I'd separate them whenever I left the room and no one was supervising.

Keep them separate till they are all about the same size. They can hurt one another and you want the smaller ones to be able to get away and to be able to withstand a bit of aggressiveness. You will also have to slowly introduce everyone when the time comes. Fencing where they can see each other is a good way to start off introductions.

Back
Top Bottom