Integrating few day old chicks to week old broody mommas?

jus10inla

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
Louisiana
Back again. First broody integration went ok between the two mommas, third added
Todayso far little drama as well.

Here is new question. Bought (4) pullets from TSC; appear to only be few days old.. probly wednseday left over batch.

Hen #1 has (3) 3 week old chicks
Hen #2 has (3) 2 week old chicks
Hen #3 has (5) 1 week old chicks

Hen 1 2 yr old production blue (australop x rir)
Hen 2 1.5 yr old welsummer ,
Hen 3 1 yr old cinamon queen

Hen 1 & 2 have hatched several clutches, hen 3 this is her first time

Currently the tsc babies are in seperate brooder. I’ve slipped babies under hen 1 & 2 within a week and they took them with there babies. But never hen 3.

Suggestions on possibly slipping under hens tonite ? Maybe 2 to each older better moms & check in morning? Or raise them separately?

There main run is 30x30, and each mom Stays to thereself. The other hens &’roos (around 15) leave them alone also.

Depends on the hens. I've had hens take everything, and others try to kill everything that they didn't hatch. It's always a risk. Just depends on how much you want to risk.

I think the chicks are too old to be given to any hen besides hen #3. She might be duped after just a week, but the other hens won't be.

So hen #1 who is my best momma took them tonight. I had taken 3 from her last week to give to a friend. She started clucking when i put them in front of her. They tucked under her wing quickly. Will know more in AM

Hen 2 & 3 were total hellyan terrorist and pecked me like crazy when i bent down to show them the babies.

Attachments

• IMG_5080.jpeg
    IMG_5080.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 7
Business as usual. All chicks around each if there moms, then they all meet in the biddy feeder / waterer (dog crate only chicks can get in) and hang out together. The 4 turken chicks hang out close by biddy feeder but are exploring some. No mom or older hens are messing with them. The other chicks are not being bullys either.

Good to hear it went well. I have a broody mom who took in two extra chicks a week after hers hatched like they were her own. I love those types of moms.

Back
Top Bottom