Integrating flocks - pullets won’t leave henhouse

dmartin101

Chirping
May 13, 2022
Little Rock AR
I have 7 Easter Eggers that are 5 months old - 6 pullets, 1 roo. I’m integrating them with my 18 month old hens (3 Speckled Sussex, 1 SL Wyandotte). They’ve been in the same run and have free ranged together all summer. This week we took down the divider keeping them separate in the run. The EE hide in the henhouse almost all day. The older hens don’t bully them but they do chase and peck them from time to time - nothing too bad, no feathers pulled, no blood. They all sleep together in the henhouse at night. The run is 6’x27’ so there’s room for them to get away. I also have multiple feeders and waterers.

I have a smaller Omelet coop I could put 2-3 of the older hens in to reset the pecking order.

Should I do that or something else?

Attachments

• IMG_7324.jpeg
    IMG_7324.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7322.jpeg
    IMG_7322.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 32
There is nothing in the run to scratch through (dry organic matter) and nothing to hide behind (pallets leaning against the walls). It is very hard to tell but are all those 2x4s elevating perching sites? You may want to offer some stumps/branches/old wood stools or chairs for additional places to get up and out of the way of the hens.
The run basically needs lots of enrichment.

There is nothing in the run to scratch through (dry organic matter) and nothing to hide behind (pallets leaning against the walls). It is very hard to tell but are all those 2x4s elevating perching sites? You may want to offer some stumps/branches/old wood stools or chairs for additional places to get up and out of the way of the hens.
The run basically needs lots of enrichment.
Thanks for the suggestions. I put a pallet in that they can run behind. I do have a stump but I’ll put more branches and things in.
The 2x4’s are elevated. It’s what we used to set the brooder on when they were chicks. The big hens don’t jump up on them.
There is dried grass on the floor. I rake it into a pile each day for them to scratch around in. When it rains, I put down pellets and pine shavings. They are also let out everyday for a couple hours.

I'd give them some time rather than separate.
Would help to see the whole coop for more suggestions.
Thanks for the reply. I’m just concerned about the pullets getting enough to eat and drink because the food and water is in the run. Maybe I should put some in the henhouse since they’re hanging out in there a lot.

I’ll attach more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_7345.jpeg
    IMG_7345.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7343.jpeg
    IMG_7343.jpeg
    936.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7344.jpeg
    IMG_7344.jpeg
    888.1 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the suggestions. I put a pallet in that they can run behind. I do have a stump but I’ll put more branches and things in.
The 2x4’s are elevated. It’s what we used to set the brooder on when they were chicks. The big hens don’t jump up on them.
There is dried grass on the floor. I rake it into a pile each day for them to scratch around in. When it rains, I put down pellets and pine shavings. They are also let out everyday for a couple hours.
Rake up all those dried leaves and toss them in there too.

Update:
Everyone is getting along well. In fact, everyone was dust bathing together the other day. It took about a week for things to settle down. The hens still chase the pullets a little bit, but the pullets aren’t hiding in the henhouse anymore. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom