Integrating new chickens into the flock

Donna75964

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
I've been around chickens my entire life but I still don't have down how to integrate new chicks or chickens into a flock. I hatched some chicks and they are now about 2 months old and a nice size so I decided to put them in with the older chickens. I did so after the older ones had gone to roost hoping the would "wake up" the next morning and the others would just be there. I went out to check on them yesterday, after I got home from work, and found one dead. I was just sick about it because it was a Polish and the first Polish that I had hatched. All of the other chicks are terrified of the older ones and all stay huddled in the corner. I let all of the older ones out into the yard to give the younger ones time to eat and drink. The seemed to be starved for both food and water. I don't know what else to do. Any sincere suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I went through a mass loss this morning and I know how it feels. I have never had a problem introducing new chickens into my flock. Usually they are hatched by my older chickens though so the mother will protect them. If I were you I would seperate them and leave them separated until they are the same size. That's just my opinion but honestly idk. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom