Integrating Two flocks Older Chickens

When you are trying to combine juveniles with adults, adult hens especially, you are very much going against the birds biology. Best restrict efforts to getting them use the same roost site but to range separately during day. Some conflicts will still arise when time to roost so make so adequate space is available. You will also need to make certain both groups are imprinted on same roost site and most consistent method for doing such is as 7L Farm has done.

Thank you for your reply-
What I have is a regular coop the young ones live in, and inside the run a tub turned on it's side with boards on diagonal to keep wind out (run is covered) the adult hens live in the makeshift coop. There is no roost in there for them and this is why I'd like them to be in coop now.
You are saying not to push it just yet? If I let them go to bed without help the big chickens divide and one goes in coop and one in makeshift.. leaving the babies out with nothing. I'm sure over time it will work itself out...

With makeshift resources in particular, get the birds roosting up. Even if it is little more than a sawhorse or 2 x 4 kept at least a couple feet, ideally more above floor. Show a picture of setup. I have too much experience with makeshift to let it go to waste.

Your coop looks like one of those factory made units. It should have some roosting options in side for adults. Show a picture of the juveniles / chicks. They may simply be too small to roost up yet, especially if temperatures are low.

Your problem is very much different than trying to merge two adult flocks and actually a lot more complicated. Can you place a tub in coop for younger birds to roost in?.

Yes it has bars inside and the young ones are using them now. They however are afraid of the big hens so won't go near them or I'd let the big (9mos) hens in.
this is the size... thanks again : )

Someone has offered me 8 laying hens all about 1-1/2 years old. I currentley have 4 hens 6-1/2 months and 1 roo 5 months. How should I go about intergrating them? My coop is 8'x6'x7' with a run 12'x6'. My chickens are free ranged the others currently are not, they will be if I take them. I do have a smaller coop but it is only 3.5'x3'x4' with a run the same size for chicks no nesting boxes. I don't think I could squeeze either flock into it. What should I do??

Someone has offered me 8 laying hens all about 1-1/2 years old. I currentley have 4 hens 6-1/2 months and 1 roo 5 months. How should I go about intergrating them? My coop is 8'x6'x7' with a run 12'x6'. My chickens are free ranged the others currently are not, they will be if I take them. I do have a smaller coop but it is only 3.5'x3'x4' with a run the same size for chicks no nesting boxes. I don't think I could squeeze either flock into it. What should I do??
You might find that the space in the coop and run will be tight for 13 birds. Free ranging would help with that. I say that because during an integration more space is better. So if you do it you will have to be on top of it. During the warm months it could work, come the winter if there is any friction it can escalate with confinement. If you can keep the flocks separate for a week where they can see and talk to each other before actually putting them together it usually goes better. Can you put up a temporary shelter for one group for that period?

You might find that the space in the coop and run will be tight for 13 birds. Free ranging would help with that. I say that because during an integration more space is better. So if you do it you will have to be on top of it. During the warm months it could work, come the winter if there is any friction it can escalate with confinement. If you can keep the flocks separate for a week where they can see and talk to each other before actually putting them together it usually goes better. Can you put up a temporary shelter for one group for that period?
I do have a shed I may be able to cordon off a section for a short time. Would you suggest letting the new birds out to free range right off or should I keep them penned up for a few days? I wouldn't have a run for the shed so they would free range with the others.

Yes pen them in for a few days. After that I might make a temporary enclosure for them to be out on the grass and be seen and see the other chickens, while they free range, for a few more days. After that letting them free range together and work out the physical introductions. A roll of fencing and a few posts is all you would need for the temporary run.

Back
Top Bottom