Integration of newbies - dilemmas

LilyFarm

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
I have a mixed flock of 18 year-old hens and one roo; also 4 guineas. The guneas roost with the chickens but run around in the coop yard and beyond. The gunea cocks are very aggressive toward the hens.

One of the hens - a Buff Rock - has gone broodie (2 days now) and I would like her to hatch a few - maybe 8. I've so far left her with Easter Egger eggs at the end of each day (current total 3) She tolerates my messing with her quite well.

I am expecting 16 hatchery chicks on Monday/Tuesday. Brooder (2'x3' wire frame dog crate, with detachable lamp) is currently set up for chicks in my barn. Thus the hatchery chicks will be 2-3 weeks older than anything the Buff Rock hatches.

My hope is to have the Buff hatch 8 EE's AND if possible have her take in the 16 hatchery chicks so that from day one she is warming and protecting all.

1. Am I asking more of the Buff than she can do - adopting and hatching? if not..

2. Should I move the brooder into the coop now or later or not at all? Nights are mostly below 32; days 50 - 70 and it's very windy.

Thank you in advance for your experienced advice and suggestions.

Christina
Edgewood,NM;
6800' elevation in the Monzano and Sandia Mountain foothills.

Back
Top Bottom