Interested in hatching again

BrittnyChicks

Songster
Jan 9, 2023
Hi all,

I'm interested in hatching again after reading all the hatch alongs, super exciting times. :wee The chicks are super adorable and well-cared for!
I had several breeds off birds, but most of the time I just stuck with the 2 same breeds, a Sussex and a coturnix quail (and parrots).

Well, now I want to introduce more breeds of chickens to my yard.
We are indeed moving this winter, so I wont be hatching this year, but the next (Meaning somewhere in 2024). :jumpy We are trying our best to find a spacious yard and house, but the chances of our chickens having more than 50foot yard is pretty slim. However I am not planning on having many chickens this year, and sticking to maybe 1 rooster or 1 or 2 hens, that free roam our house and have a coop run outside. (Or if we have a big yard, 3-4 females and a male)

Which breed is best for indoor and small amounts of outdoor area? Then again, this is not 100% accurate, we havent found a house that pleases us, and we are trying our best to have a big yard.

I would really love a silkie one day, but I heard for a small chicken they need loads of space.

Interested in a Brahma chicken, but i did hear they get big. Is that true, if so how big? and how much space do they require?

Keep in mind the smaller the bird, the less everything. Space {depending on how many}, food, water, and waste. I would recommend bantams. 2 cute and make great "pets" depending on breed bantams can weigh less than 20 oz to 3 lbs. They can get a little fiesty but I love bantams myself. Silkies are a good choice also. I also like cochins, but they can grow larger than bantams and are not near as loving and laid back as bantams. From my experience anyway.

Back
Top Bottom