Interested in pigeon or dove keeping

ElGoose

Songster
May 27, 2023
So I’m a poultry gal, I love my geese like no other - however yesterday my friend brought her pigeon with her and we told her it’s fine to come inside and hang out in our room.
The issue is - I fell in love with it! I’ve always thought pigeons are cute but this pigeon spent the whole visit on me and even had a little tantrum whenever I put him down 🥺

should I look more into it? And if so what are some key things I need to know? I’d preferably want to look into rescue pigeons that can’t live a normal life outside as I’m someone who works from and is practically always home

Attachments

• IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1445.jpeg
    IMG_1445.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1446.jpeg
    IMG_1446.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1434.jpeg
    IMG_1434.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1442.jpeg
    IMG_1442.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 19
So I’m a poultry gal, I love my geese like no other - however yesterday my friend brought her pigeon with her and we told her it’s fine to come inside and hang out in our room.
The issue is - I fell in love with it! I’ve always thought pigeons are cute but this pigeon spent the whole visit on me and even had a little tantrum whenever I put him down 🥺

should I look more into it? And if so what are some key things I need to know? I’d preferably want to look into rescue pigeons that can’t live a normal life outside as I’m someone who works from and is practically always home
I have to say the photos look like a fairytale! With the puff sleeves, pretty scenery, and cute pigeon.

I don’t know enough to give advice on pigeon keeping, but i’ve fostered a few before and they really are sweet. I really love them.

A short story; i rescued a pigeon that was tangled in fishing wire. Fostered him for a bit til he was back on his feet. Then i released him.

After that, every few days he would fly back to my house and i could tell her recognized me. He never got close enough for me to pet him, but he would come just to sit where i was sitting, almost like a thank you. Then he would fly off. The sweetest part was he didn’t live in the area my house was at, and made trips just to come over.

Eventually he came back one day with a girlfriend, he brought her a few times, and he came back less and less, but i thought it was really sweet. Pigeons are lovely animals.

I have had all sorts of birds (mostly outdoors) and acquired pigeons last a few years ago. I don’t keep mine indoors so can’t speak to that aspect but they are by far my favorite. If you are prepared for another animal then my suggestion is to go for it, I doubt you will be disappointed.

I have to say the photos look like a fairytale! With the puff sleeves, pretty scenery, and cute pigeon.

I don’t know enough to give advice on pigeon keeping, but i’ve fostered a few before and they really are sweet. I really love them.

A short story; i rescued a pigeon that was tangled in fishing wire. Fostered him for a bit til he was back on his feet. Then i released him.

After that, every few days he would fly back to my house and i could tell her recognized me. He never got close enough for me to pet him, but he would come just to sit where i was sitting, almost like a thank you. Then he would fly off. The sweetest part was he didn’t live in the area my house was at, and made trips just to come over.

Eventually he came back one day with a girlfriend, he brought her a few times, and he came back less and less, but i thought it was really sweet. Pigeons are lovely animals.
That’s so sweet 💖💖 I’d love the idea of fostering or rescuing pigeons - my only worry is what they may be carrying ie diseases and whatnot! I’m not too bothered about how it will affect me, I’m mainly worried about the possibility of passing it onto my own birds 😭 are there any specific precautions I should take if I do come across an injured pigeon that needs help?

That’s so sweet 💖💖 I’d love the idea of fostering or rescuing pigeons - my only worry is what they may be carrying ie diseases and whatnot! I’m not too bothered about how it will affect me, I’m mainly worried about the possibility of passing it onto my own birds 😭 are there any specific precautions I should take if I do come across an injured pigeon that needs help?
Wild pigeons are similar to a lot of wild animals, you have the risk there of something being transmitted, though the risk isn’t high, it’s always better to be safe, same as you might when you get a new chicken since they might have Avian Influenza.
I don’t know the exact ways of preventing them but it might be best to do basic precautions like some coverup, at least at first til you get them examined for any health issues.

Also, just a reminder that like a stray cat or dog, pigeons don’t always become acclimated to house life. Some do really well, but others might remain skittish.

Definitely keep us updated on what you end up doing though! There are also pigeons in shelters too that i’m sure could use a home. Either way, what you’re doing is really sweet
Aww thank you, and yes I wouldn’t keep a wild pigeon indoors if it was skittish to go outside! Thankfully I live in a really lovely area with lots of open grass and trees and not really any predators so depending on what it needs I’m sure I could adapt around it hahaha. I might also look at pigeons in shelters ! I’ve been looking online to see if there’s any shelters like that near me but no luck so far

PAX

Pigeons and doves are the best! They're easy to take care of (that's what I think), and are so cute. I have one dove and two eggs I hope will hatch! They're all rescues.
Check out Palomacy https://www.pigeonrescue.org/blog/ for resources, you can also text them if you need help with something that's not on their site.

I’d preferably want to look into rescue pigeons that can’t live a normal life outside
Just a little bit of advice on keeping an indoor pigeon as pet. First,, if you choose a rescue pigeon from a rescue center,,, chances are you will get a healthy one. The center would have given a health checkup, before releasing to new owner.
Another important part,,,,, is keeping it to one pigeon,,, for indoor pets. They will bond with you, and stay loyal. If you desire multiple rescues... I suggest an outdoor loft with large aviary.
That leads to next step. Pigeons will multiply. Yes, even the ones with injured wings that cant fly,,, can have offspring's.
Be prepared for that, as you will have a sizable flock in short time.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom