Interesting Behavior Related to Feeding Around Piles of Eats

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Picture of evening blend birds top crops off before retreating to roost. Normally I mix it all up, but this evening I simply threw piles in and set bowl down. Feeding was not random, the birds were very particularly where among piles they consumed feed.

20180926_173152.jpg

Last edited:
No preference for feed type noted Three piles in bowl represented by pelleted complete 16% crude protein layer feed, shelled corn, and wheat. What was interesting was where they actual fed in the bowl and how that compares to when the contents more homogenous / uniformly distributed.

No preference for feed type noted Three piles in bowl represented by pelleted complete 16% crude protein layer feed, shelled corn, and wheat. What was interesting was where they actual fed in the bowl and how that compares to when the contents more homogenous / uniformly distributed.
So are you going to share your observances... or make us do it ourselves?
I find your 'experiments' and observations interesting, when they are fully explained.

Do it yourself to compare notes. For now I will say there is a strong pattern that I never expected and has something in coming with fish I work with, also something I never expected. I work with fish for a living for better part of 30 years and learning new there as well.

Do it yourself to compare notes. For now I will say there is a strong pattern that I never expected and has something in coming with fish I work with, also something I never expected. I work with fish for a living for better part of 30 years and learning new there as well.
I only have pigeons now, so I will wait for the reveal...
:caf

I see you aren't going to tell us then. Another cryptic thread:lol:

I don't give a mix like you do, but my observations at nighttime fill up is that adults already have full crops, but will top off with scratch grains or sunflower hearts when offered. Juveniles will take some scratch/sf, but if I add even just a smidge of regular feed (Flock Raiser) to feed stations that already have food in them (top off the feed), they go for feed first:confused: then go for "goodies".

Possibly juveniles have need for protein and vitamins vs. carbs? Where as hens have already had their daily fill of requirements and want "dessert".

Back
Top Bottom