INTERIOR ALASKA CHICKENS

Hey, ShabbyChix here. It hasn't even been a year between posts. I'm getting better at this! Ha.

Seriously, I am starting over AGAIN. I just believe that the problems, issues and successes that we have, here in the Interior, are beyond what others can comprehend - regarding successfully raising happy, well-adjusted, productive and comfortable chickens! I would so enjoy the company of other like-minded and determined chicken/animal lovers. No, I don't have solar panels etc. working on that!

Here's my NEW issue. I am moving, next month, off-grid, again and starting over with new chicks. Has anyone had experience with this off-grid? Keeping them warm without a heatlamp? I'm thinking maybe there is such a thing as a battery operated heating pad?

Ideas are welcome!

I'm in Fairbanks as well. I built a solar heater out of soda cans and added a couple of turkeys to my flock for the winter. I didn't have any problems!! This last winter wasn't very cold though :/ I just hope that the changes helped out! How are the icelandics working out for you? I have several new birds, more than I need, if you want some let me know! I'd be happy to sell some

Solar Heater out of soda cans! I do hope you are willing to share this knowledge!!
old.gif

I, unfortunately, had to sell my Icelandics. The property I was moving to that had the chicken coop ... well, let's just say that it didn't pan out. I jumped the gun and had ordered the Icelandics, and then had no place to put them. You would think, at my age, that I would know better. Ah well, lesson learned - albeit the hard way.

Since then I have wondered about whether I really want "flying" chickens. I mean, they can FLY! So... would they fly into my fenced garden ? Also, I understand their flying makes them more predator savvy and if you have a bunch of trees they can fly into, more safe. But my off-grid cabin is NOT in a forest. So, I think I will be happy with regular chickens - although I LOVE the idea of Icelandics. I also love that they are broody. BUT their eggs are small. I really like big eggs. Ha!

What breed(s) of chickens do you have too many of?

How about hot water bottles to keep chicks warm? I watched a you tube yesterday of a woman who lives off-grid, raising brand new chicks. She had two, what looked like 1/2 gallon or quart canning jars that she filled with almost boiling water and then covered them with a sock or material ... kind of like an artificial hen concept. She had a thermometer to monitor the temp in their little brooder and it seemed to work well for her.

Taking it a step further .. what if one used some fuzzy (momma softness) kind of material and made some kind of arch or board between the jars, covered with material that the chicks might get under and their body heat would stay around them. Hmmm. There is just no way to snuggle under a jar!

I hope someone out there has done this and has a better idea!
idunno.gif

I haven't heard of the hot water bottle idea but it sounds interesting. I'll try to get some pictures of the heater when I get back in town. I've got some Rhode Islands that are a little over a year old now, laying just about every day, some 2 month or so old silver laced wyandottes, columbian wyandottes, a few americaunas, and others.

Pics would be super! Your idea sounds amazing.
Are the Wyandottes pretty cold hardy? Mellow with other chickens? I would be very interested in a rooster youngster if you have one. I'll do some research. I am considering Orpingtons and don't know what else yet.

I'm not sure if you're still wanting chickens, but I may be able to help a little. I'm outside Fairbanks (Salcha) and this will be my third year with laying hens. Let me know if you're still looking for info.
I just moved to Salcha, and am wanting to do chickens this summer, any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom