Intestinal lining or something else

Marcy chick smitten

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2023
Hi all this morning I went out to my run to clean up poop from yesterday(done daily) and found this. The hen who did this has had a few more poops and it’s not as bad. She is running around and acting very healthy. I want to make sure…

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpeg
    IMG_1415.jpeg
    596 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1416.jpeg
    IMG_1416.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1418.jpeg
    IMG_1418.jpeg
    625.3 KB · Views: 13
How old is your bird? Have you ever wormed her, or had a fecal test done to check for internal parasites? It looks like intestinal shed, seeing that occasionally can be nothing to worry about. Seeing a lot of it, or seeing it sometimes can be a sign of internal parasites. If you can get a fecal test done, that would be what I would do. If you don't have a vet that will do it, then I'd consider worming her to see if it clears up. Most of the time you will not see any worms in the droppings, so not seeing them doesn't mean they aren't there, the fecal looks for the microscopic eggs that are shed in droppings.

How old is your bird? Have you ever wormed her, or had a fecal test done to check for internal parasites? It looks like intestinal shed, seeing that occasionally can be nothing to worry about. Seeing a lot of it, or seeing it sometimes can be a sign of internal parasites. If you can get a fecal test done, that would be what I would do. If you don't have a vet that will do it, then I'd consider worming her to see if it clears up. Most of the time you will not see any worms in the droppings, so not seeing them doesn't mean they aren't there, the fecal looks for the microscopic eggs that are shed in droppings.
She is 5 months old and soon to start laying. I have never wormed her, but will do that. I add red pepper flakes and garlic powder and oregano to her food daily. But I had been throwing black sunflower seeds to them a couple times a day, Not a whole lot but a couple times a day May add up. She is lower in the pecking order and so I always made sure those on the bottom got their share. I won’t be doing that anymore as it can lead to fatty liver. They do not free range but I supply weeds and greens, particularly cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, lettuce and fresh raspberries from our large patch of bushes. They get some frozen watermelon and cantaloupe and grapes when it is really hot later in afternoon. I will worm them all, thank you!

Worming a healthy bird is pretty safe, so no worries. Chicks can sometimes have this kind of shed while growing, if it's only a very occasional thing, then it may be nothing. If you are seeing it more often, then hopefully worming will take care of it. If you worm them, and see any dead or dieing worms expelled in droppings, that is normal. But you also may see nothing, often they just absorb/digest them. Make sure you weigh them and dose appropriately and at the correct intervals.

Can I ask what you suggest for worming them? My husband read on a fb chicken group ivermectin works, which we have (the horse paste) but have no idea the dosing amount….

Worming a healthy bird is pretty safe, so no worries. Chicks can sometimes have this kind of shed while growing, if it's only a very occasional thing, then it may be nothing. If you are seeing it more often, then hopefully worming will take care of it. If you worm them, and see any dead or dieing worms expelled in droppings, that is normal. But you also may see nothing, often they just absorb/digest them. Make sure you weigh them and dose appropriately and at the correct intervals.
Thank you for this information, by the way!

I would not use ivermectin, some internal parasites are becoming resistant to it. Usually Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Safeguard horse paste can be found locally. Dose for those is .23ml per pound of body weight, once a day for 5 days in a row. Or you can order Valbazen on line (labled for cattle) and dosing for that is "weight in lbs / 2.2 x 20mg / 113.6 = dose", for a 6 lb bird that would be .48ml, I would round up to .5 ml (always round up). You would dose Valbazen 2 times, 10 days apart. Those wormers will take care of everything except tapeworm, which is less common.

I would not use ivermectin, some internal parasites are becoming resistant to it. Usually Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Safeguard horse paste can be found locally. Dose for those is .23ml per pound of body weight, once a day for 5 days in a row. Or you can order Valbazen on line (labled for cattle) and dosing for that is "weight in lbs / 2.2 x 20mg / 113.6 = dose", for a 6 lb bird that would be .48ml, I would round up to .5 ml (always round up). You would dose Valbazen 2 times, 10 days apart. Those wormers will take care of everything except tapeworm, which is less common.
Thank you.I have prosense(safeguard) dog dewormer on hand which has fenbendazole in it. Could I use that? It takes care of roundworms,Tapeworms,hookworms, and whipworms. They are granules of 22,2%(222mg/g). The dosage for canine is 50mg(22.7mg/lb) of body weight.

She is 5 months old and soon to start laying. I have never wormed her, but will do that. I add red pepper flakes and garlic powder and oregano to her food daily. But I had been throwing black sunflower seeds to them a couple times a day, Not a whole lot but a couple times a day May add up. She is lower in the pecking order and so I always made sure those on the bottom got their share. I won’t be doing that anymore as it can lead to fatty liver. They do not free range but I supply weeds and greens, particularly cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, lettuce and fresh raspberries from our large patch of bushes. They get some frozen watermelon and cantaloupe and grapes when it is really hot later in afternoon. I will worm them all, thank you!
Be careful with these black sunflower seeds because they are extremely high in fat and they will cause problems if fed daily especially multiple times a day. Also lay off on all of the fruits and vegetables because those are taking away from the bird getting a balanced diet which the pelleted feed is.

Back
Top Bottom