Intestinal shed? Not an emergency...

Kris5902

Enabler
5 Years
Oct 12, 2018
Ok, so just before Christmas I had a sudden death and really bloody poop in my 8-9 week old chicks in their brooder. It was suggested here as coccidiosis and I got my cats vet to (somewhat reluctantly) do a fecal float and prescribe me some Amprolium for the coccidiosis, no worm signs at all in it. I followed the dosage instructions (standard) here, rather than the almost negligible amount the vet suggested, and did 1 week at 9ml/gallon then two more weeks at a lesser dose (I forget the amount).

I’m still seeing some intestinal shed in their poops... is this normal? Should I still be concerned? Should I start a second round of the amprolium?

They are in a chicken tractor, so I move them away from their droppings each day. I will be able to add some pics of their poop tomorrow morning.

Ok, so just before Christmas I had a sudden death and really bloody poop in my 8-9 week old chicks in their brooder. It was suggested here as coccidiosis and I got my cats vet to (somewhat reluctantly) do a fecal float and prescribe me some Amprolium for the coccidiosis, no worm signs at all in it. I followed the dosage instructions (standard) here, rather than the almost negligible amount the vet suggested, and did 1 week at 9ml/gallon then two more weeks at a lesser dose (I forget the amount).

I’m still seeing some intestinal shed in their poops... is this normal? Should I still be concerned? Should I start a second round of the amprolium?

They are in a chicken tractor, so I move them away from their droppings each day. I will be able to add some pics of their poop tomorrow morning.

It could be just intestinal lining (pics would help) but with them moving in the tractor onto new ground they could also pick it up easily again too. I would see what others say but I would probably err on the side of caution with them being so young still. I would love to know if there is more likelihood of them shedding lining in the aftermath of coccidiosis. I know there is supposed to be initially, but for what length of time I do not know. They would have finished their doseage around 3/4 weeks ago right?

Ok, sorry it’s late... and my brain is a little scrambled from a very, very long day! I’m now home and have my calendar. Their treatments ended completely January 11th and they are now 13 weeks old. I only lost the one, it was very sudden and I saw no symptoms until the death, and then bloody poop in there when I removed the body. Three or so days after beginning treatment I found two cecal cores, one day and then the second the next day.

I have some 9-10 week olds as well, which I also treated as they had had occasional bloody poops since I got them at 5 days old. I think they might have brought the coccidiosis in with them, and that somehow there was a cross contamination in the brooder. This all happened in their brooders inside. Things have been improving steadily since I moved them outside and onto fresh grass daily. But I’m still seeing some runny poop and intestinal shed in their nightly droppings. They are still establishing their roosting positions, so I don’t know who’s poop is who’s.

Everyone seems pretty happy and healthy... I only have some concerns about the health of one cockerel in the 9-10 week group, who I know I won’t be keeping to breed, but his issues don’t look like they are coccidiosis related.

Pics tomorrow, when it’s light out, as I’ve been in town all day today, since 8 am...

I've read through a good number off your posts. Really wanted to say I appreciate all the info you have shared. Limited vet access has got to be a nightmare! Have you seen this post?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/poultry-fecal-flotation-procedures-and-pictures.848229/

And :hugs:hugs:hugs

Thanks for the link... fascinating and creepy all at the same time! Once we get our house up I’ll have room for these sorts of things. I’m glad my trying to muddle through all this for the first time is useful, but really all the great info is from others... and I really appreciate all the guidance and help I’ve received here.

I feel so needy, and inexperienced sometimes! It’s a fairly big learning curve for me, and chickens have never been an interest to people on this farm, so there’s no real info here for me. So glad to have such kind and knowledgeable people on this site who are willing to help and share their experiences.

Ok, sorry it’s late... and my brain is a little scrambled from a very, very long day! I’m now home and have my calendar. Their treatments ended completely January 11th and they are now 13 weeks old. I only lost the one, it was very sudden and I saw no symptoms until the death, and then bloody poop in there when I removed the body. Three or so days after beginning treatment I found two cecal cores, one day and then the second the next day.

I have some 9-10 week olds as well, which I also treated as they had had occasional bloody poops since I got them at 5 days old. I think they might have brought the coccidiosis in with them, and that somehow there was a cross contamination in the brooder. This all happened in their brooders inside. Things have been improving steadily since I moved them outside and onto fresh grass daily. But I’m still seeing some runny poop and intestinal shed in their nightly droppings. They are still establishing their roosting positions, so I don’t know who’s poop is who’s.

Everyone seems pretty happy and healthy... I only have some concerns about the health of one cockerel in the 9-10 week group, who I know I won’t be keeping to breed, but his issues don’t look like they are coccidiosis related.

Pics tomorrow, when it’s light out, as I’ve been in town all day today, since 8 am...
I am just going by things I have read here, I have not had coccidiosis ever, but I would think if it is only in their overnight droppings it points towards intestinal lining!! Interested to hear what others have to say! Get some sleep :)

Ok here we are, and today was a light day for pinkish things in their overnight droppings, so maybe I just worry too much and spend way too much time looking at poop. It’s kind of hard explaining all the poop photos on my phone!

These are the droppings from the older chickens the 2 gloopy ones are from after I let them out
62BF42E0-FEC6-4045-B55E-52B8D324FCEC.jpeg
44F0591F-584C-42BE-997E-E69D065D4449.jpeg
C2CD914D-7261-4155-82F5-6C5780E8A437.jpeg
4DE252C9-BB99-4E3C-BE9F-E269DD8C0E91.jpeg
9071132F-4727-4F5E-BD02-038B84C43B28.jpeg

1st two and last photo look like cecal droppings on top of normal droppings, so normal. Color and consistency can vary, and they are usually stinkier. There is intestinal shed in the middle photos. When this is occasional I don't worry about it. When it becomes more than occasional I treat. Sometimes a load of worms can cause intestinal shed also. Is getting a fecal test done possible for you? That would save from treating something that isn't there. We have mail in options here also: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ...colid=27RHKHAM35GO&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Would be good for a check in a non-emergency. Worm loads vary in different environments. Droppings like that in my flock are usually roundworms, and after treatment it clears up.

Here are from my 9-10 week olds
DBFB4DA1-4DE9-4E1F-A89F-81562A975E12.jpeg
CF25A133-2E41-45D4-A845-09D119154EA8.jpeg
F6A3BBAF-DD9A-41B4-86D9-033B64D6B969.jpeg
7432C211-3FC3-4F40-99C5-B5D1DCE9A3F8.jpeg
This one is from yesterday so the color is a little changed it was more pinkish then:
8A82437F-67E5-4331-88DD-567C87E666AF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom