Intorducing Bantys to my flock?

CrystalChick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 11, 2013
Vermont
Hi I have 2 10 week old bantams (along with 1 other Cochin hen, same age) that I would like to think about introducing to the rest of my flock of 7. Does anyone have any advice for this? So far they have socialized through a fence to keep them separate- so each group knows about the other. I am just a little worried about the Bantys since they are so small. I thought it would be good to do before winter, but are they too young still?

(this picture is from several weeks ago, but you get the gist.. they are small!)

Hiya I introduced my new 3 hens to the mixed of flock 17 within a week (I know I shouldnt have) they got a few pecks from big mama (the top hen) my dizzy lil frizzled polish gave them a chase and peck and that was the end...they just started eating and ranging again.Good luck

Last edited:
My alpha hen is a banty and she goes after the full sized hens as she thinks they need it. Size does not matter to her and banties can think they got it all. So when you do put them together dont be surprised if a banty gets the best of the full sized.

My alpha hen is a banty and she goes after the full sized hens as she thinks they need it. Size does not matter to her and banties can think they got it all. So when you do put them together dont be surprised if a banty gets the best of the full sized.

I agree I have a pekin called martha shes high in the pecking order and will give my legbar girls a peck if she needs to,its so funny to watch my big atheletic legbars run from my short,chubby,feathered foot pekin lok

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll try before the weather gets cool so they can have plenty of space to run if they need!

Back
Top Bottom