Intro

BigTreeFarm

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2023
We bought a farm 1.5 years ago that had a coop already so I begged my husband to let me get chickens from a lady needing to get rid of her flock.
We started with 5 which quickly turned into 10 and then 15, lost a few to some sort of illness, 1 to a prolapse, then hatched a clutch in an incubator and then had a hen go broody so gave her some eggs. Now I've got 18 hens and 2 roos. We also did meat birds, which was something I didn't really enjoy like I thought I would.
I'm getting ready to hatch a batch over Easter when the nieces and nephews are around.
As for breeds, the majority are isa browns, but I've got a barred rock, and then a bunch of mixed breeds.
Favourite aspect is when I walk out the door, I've got a fan club who want to follow me wherever I go. I've got 3 children, and my daughter is a chicken fanatic. She even took one trick-or-treating last Halloween.
I've also got a mini donkey and a couple older goats (yet another impulse rescue), three cats for pest control and currently housing two bunnies for a friend. It's a bit of a funny farm, but it's a great learning experience as a homeschooling family and I really enjoy the chickens. They are definitely my favourite.
I joined BYC because I had questions and kept clicking on links that ended up here so I joined.

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

R.352c85d80432596c779a6103a12fd55e

Back
Top Bottom