Intro

Doug162

Chirping
Jul 21, 2023
Hey everyone! I am relatively new to chickens. I built my own coop and started with 6 chickens (4 Saphire Gems, 1 Cinnamon Queen, and 1 Partridge Rock) about 4 months ago. We added 5 Speckled Sussex a couple months later. We are already getting between 4-6 eggs a day.

I come from a law enforcement background and own a 102 pound Belgian Malinois. He doesn't seem to mind the chickens as they are always in the coop when he is outside. They get their time to free range when he is inside or in his kennel napping. I imagine his odor also helps deter would be predators around the coop as well.

I have 2 kids that enjoy loving on our chickens.

I found backyard chickens on Google when I went looking for advice/opinions.

Attachments

• 20230312_192822.jpg
    20230312_192822.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230718_191709.jpg
    20230718_191709.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230713_204029.jpg
    20230713_204029.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 8
Hi from Indiana and nice to meet you!
I am retired military and my 24 year old son is a police officer in a small town.
He's a K9 officer and his K9 partner is a Dutch Shepherd that he trained and owns. He got hired because he was a reserve officer while in college and loved it. So he spent 40+ hours a week working for free for about two years until he graduated from college.

He also got to be a K9 Officer immediately which I guess is not normal. But he's been very dedicated to training them for several years and it helped that he was the only person associated with the department that could even approach the dog they had at the time they hired him after the previous K9 officer/handler resigned. My son had trained that dog a few years before he became affiliated with that PD while he was in high school/early college and worked at a training facility.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to the site!
JD

Hi from Indiana and nice to meet you!
I am retired military and my 24 year old son is a police officer in a small town.
He's a K9 officer and his K9 partner is a Dutch Shepherd that he trained and owns. He got hired because he was a reserve officer while in college and loved it. So he spent 40+ hours a week working for free for about two years until he graduated from college.

He also got to be a K9 Officer immediately which I guess is not normal. But he's been very dedicated to training them for several years and it helped that he was the only person associated with the department that could even approach the dog they had at the time they hired him after the previous K9 officer/handler resigned. My son had trained that dog a few years before he became affiliated with that PD while he was in high school/early college and worked at a training facility.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to the site!
JD

Thanks! Tell him to stay safe out there. I spent 10 years working patrol in small towns. Just transitioned into an admin role at a small university recently. So thankful for the 9-5 M-F schedule now that my kids are getting old enough to realize dad was never home.

Back
Top Bottom