Introducing a new chicken

lxlzbaca

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
New Mexico
We bought a new hen on Sunday, but before we had it the lady didn't tell us that she was a bantum. We have 5 hens and they are now 6 months old. We put the new one in at night and in the morning they would go peck at her, leave her alone, then peck at her again. They ended up drawing blood so we took her out. Right now she is in a kennel next to the coop. We are thinking of leaving her next to them for 1 week, then putting the kennel inside the coop for 1 week, then seeing how putting her with them goes again. I know we went about this all wrong, but now I have to find a way to fix it. Is there anything else I can do to get her "in" with the other chickens or I am going to have to rehome her? I really would like to keep her if at all possible. She is a silkie, and so very pretty.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Just let them get used to seeing her for a few weeks before putting her in. Maybe put some nopick on her where they were pecking her when you decide to put her in with the others. If they don't accept her after that you may just need to find another home for her.

Back
Top Bottom