Introducing a new duck

dawno33

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
My one Pekin duck that I was hoping would be female is looking more like a drake at 14 weeks. 'Norma" has a new curled tail feather. My question is can I introduce a female duck to Norma (have to change that to Norman, I guess) without problems? I also have 8 chickens, 7 hens and one rooster as well all 14 weeks old. They all reside in the same coop.

My one Pekin duck that I was hoping would be female is looking more like a drake at 14 weeks. 'Norma" has a new curled tail feather. My question is can I introduce a female duck to Norma (have to change that to Norman, I guess) without problems? I also have 8 chickens, 7 hens and one rooster as well all 14 weeks old. They all reside in the same coop.
Yes Norma-n needs some girls or he'll go after your hens eventually. he needs at least 2-4 depending on how many you can house. Would love to see some pics when you get time and we also have a Pekin Thread.
Welcome to BYC!

when introducing new duck to the home flock intro slowly over several days to weeks depending on your home flock, they can be nasty to anyone they see as intruders. but usually after living side by side with temp fencing they all grow to know each other and will be one flock.

Last edited:
Yes Norma-n needs some girls or he'll go after your hens eventually. he needs at least 2-4 depending on how many you can house. Would love to see some pics when you get time and we also have a Pekin Thread.
Welcome to BYC!

when introducing new duck to the home flock intro slowly over several days to weeks depending on your home flock, they can be nasty to anyone they see as intruders. but usually after living side by side with temp fencing they all grow to know each other and will be one flock.

X2!
I am in the process of introducing two new drakes into my existing flock of three drakes and it has been a long but steady experience. I had also integrated a drake into the flock before and it took a while but they eventually accepted him. Sorry for rambling lol but my point is that it may take some time to integrate ducks (especially drakes) but it can be done. Good luck!

X2!
I am in the process of introducing two new drakes into my existing flock of three drakes and it has been a long but steady experience. I had also integrated a drake into the flock before and it took a while but they eventually accepted him. Sorry for rambling lol but my point is that it may take some time to integrate ducks (especially drakes) but it can be done. Good luck!
Finny!! so good to see you again..
frow.gif
thanks for posting.

They are doing well thanks for asking
smile.png
. They have a new and bigger house and pen to make room for the two new drakes and maybe some future ones if my parents allow it haha
Well of course we need pics of their new digs and them since it's been awhile and their 2 new brothers also.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom