Introducing a roo

kh1988

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2017
Hi, i currently have 6 red sex links, about a year old, have been living together without a roo. Someone i know has a barred rock roo that showed up on thier doorstep and they have been taking care of him alone, with no hens. If i was to take the roo, do i just throw him in there with the girls? What's the worst that could happen? Will they get along and settle in? Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you!

Hi, i currently have 6 red sex links, about a year old, have been living together without a roo. Someone i know has a barred rock roo that showed up on thier doorstep and they have been taking care of him alone, with no hens. If i was to take the roo, do i just throw him in there with the girls? What's the worst that could happen? Will they get along and settle in? Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you!
Start by keeping him far away from your birds for 3 weeks to a month. When you visit him, change clothes and shoes before visiting your flock. After that period, bring him within eyeshot of the girls but keep them separate for 3 days to a week. Then let him out on supervised visits and see how it goes.

The above is good security. A lot of people cannot do that, so do not add new birds. If you have a valuable flock, that is good advice. It is a real risk to add a bird, that who has no known history. You could either loose your flock to a disease he is carrying, or he could get a disease your birds are carrying.

If you want to risk it, and I have several times added rooster, however, never a rooster I did not know where he came from. Don't take anything you feel sorry for. Nothing sneezing, coughing, sick looking. But otherwise, I have just added a rooster directly to my flock. If he is younger than your birds, they may work him over and teach him manners. If he is the same age or older, they will be in love before morning.

It does change the dynamics of your flock. They will not look to you, but rather to him. I like having a rooster, but they can be a problem. One should not ever get a rooster, unless they can dispose of him, if he does not turn out. Some do not and can be aggressive.

Good luck
Mrs k

I wouldn't just toss him in without knowing anything about him. I would keep him seperate and watch for any illness while also gauging his temperament a little bit. I like roos but you've really got to be cautious, as mentioned they change your flock dynamic and you don't want your girls following a jerk right? :)

You know, upon further consideration of this. You probably should keep this bird somewhere else. Now if the people who have befriended it for a couple of weeks, and the bird is still healthy, that is a quarantine. And you should be good to go. If they just found him a day ago... well that is pretty iffy.

1897.jpg
this is the rooster.

Back
Top Bottom