Introducing a roo?

Clucknut

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Any thoughts on introducing a rooster into a flock of pullets?
My current flock is a mixture of NH Reds and Easter-Eggers. Not quite laying yet.
I didn't get a roo when I picked these up as chicks and I like to have one.
Surplus roosters are not hard to find. I'm just wondering if I'm looking for trouble.
Thanks.

My current flock is a mixture of NH Reds and Easter-Eggers. Not quite laying yet.
I didn't get a roo when I picked these up as chicks and I like to have one.
Surplus roosters are not hard to find. I'm just wondering if I'm looking for trouble.
Thanks.

I would suggest that you wait until your pullets are laying so that they're fully-mature.

And don't forget quarantine and a proper introduction. :)

Introducing a mature rooster to a flock of mature hens is often about the easiest integration you can have. He steps in and wows them with his self-confidence and magnificence, mates a couple, and the integration is over. It is not always like that. Sometimes he really doesn't have that self-confidence to wow them and sometimes the dominant hen doesn't want to give up her dominant position, but that is usually not a problem.

An immature cockerel isn't likely to have that self-confidence and immature pullets aren't ready to do their part. Immature cockerels with immature pullets can often get really rough. An immature cockerel with a flock of mature hens can be vicious, the hens often don't accept him. A "good" mature rooster should not bother immature pullets but not every rooster is good. When you are dealing with immature cockerels or immature pullets things can go wrong quickly. That's why mature roosters and mature hens are usually much easier to deal with.

My suggestion is to wait until at least half the girls are laying. Enough of those should act like mature hens to take care of that side. It's harder to know when a cockerel is mature enough to do his part. Mine tend to hit that point around 7 to 8 months of age but I had one that went 11 months. If you can at all I'd want one at least a year old.

Sorry I asked a question, then flew the coop. I got sidetracked.
Thanks for all the advise. I'll wait until they're laying, then consider getting a mature rooster.
I haven't kept one in years, and I miss the entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom