Introducing a young chick to adults

thecatspyjamas

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 9, 2009
I just found out today I may be getting a young chick, probably 2-3 weeks old. It's a runt, but healthy (as far as I know). I have 2 grown chickens and they have a coop and run, although they never go in the coop and choose to stay in the run.

How far away does the new bird need to be while he's in quarantine? I really don't have an extra coop. I do have a kennel, but didn't know if I could close her in the coop away from them or does she need to be further away?

Thanks for any advice! I did a little reading here trying to get prepared, but I just found out and was trying to make some preparations!

Denise

I actually do quarantine in my house as many things can travel through the air a far distance. Once 30 days is up you need to keep her separated in the coop but within sight and touch of the other birds for a couple weeks, maybe longer. I usually don’t introduce birds til they are a good size and strength to get away or fight back.

I would not try putting a 2 week old chick in with adult chickens. Even if you do quarantine it first. It needs to be at least probably 8 weeks. Otherwise it will just get pecked to death, and won't be able to get to the food and water. Plus, a chick that age needs a heat lamp.

I actually do quarantine in my house as many things can travel through the air a far distance. Once 30 days is up you need to keep her separated in the coop but within sight and touch of the other birds for a couple weeks, maybe longer. I usually don’t introduce birds til they are a good size and strength to get away or fight back.
Thanks so much!

I would not try putting a 2 week old chick in with adult chickens. Even if you do quarantine it first. It needs to be at least probably 8 weeks. Otherwise it will just get pecked to death, and won't be able to get to the food and water. Plus, a chick that age needs a heat lamp.
I believe it was born Jan 28, but not sure. I am trying to get them to keep it with the little ones until it's a little older. One of mine is a Polish Crested. She's small, but pretty feisty. The other is big, but old. If I get her, I'll definitely keep them apart for a while. Thanks for the advice on short notice!

I believe it was born Jan 28, but not sure. I am trying to get them to keep it with the little ones until it's a little older. One of mine is a Polish Crested. She's small, but pretty feisty. The other is big, but old. If I get her, I'll definitely keep them apart for a while. Thanks for the advice on short notice!
I put my chicks in with the adult hens at 4 weeks:confused: never had a problem

Back
Top Bottom