Introducing adult ducks, Peking and khaki.

chickenonahill1

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2015
A couple days ago either a fox or racoon got two of my three ducks and left my male pekin all alone and lonley. I have found a place to get an adult khaki runner. But i have never had a runner and dont know how to introduce the two if my male will even take to the female. Could i get some insight please.

Something I think about is size difference. A Khaki Runner will be about 4 pounds, the Pekin will be 8 or so - twice the size of the female. That would keep me from bringing her in, for her sake. Also, if she's the only female, she stands a good chance of being harmed by being overmated.

If you have the time and temperament, then you might be able to monitor them to protect her. But that would be quite a time commitment.

I would look for a duck at least 7 pounds or so, even larger than the Pekin drake. I would look for two or three ducks, actually.

When introducing, generally the best way is to have them divided by a temporary fence at first and watch them. Once they seem okay seeing each other, let them visit face to face, but with constant supervision.

At some point it becomes apparent that they are doing okay.

If there is anything more than a little poking and chasing, separate them and try again another time.

Last edited:
According to Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, the breeds in the same size category as Pekins are

Appleyard
Rouen
Saxony

I have always thought Swedish were close in size.

Back
Top Bottom