Introducing chicks -

Nickles

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2015
Florida
So I've had the chicks in the house, today I put them in a big wire dog crate out in the yard to just let them get some fresh air and to let all the other animals start getting used to seeing them around and all that. Turns out, one of my hens is an *******. She keeps pecking at any of them that get close enough to the side of the crate, coming away with big beak-fulls of feathers and the little man in there already has a big bald spot. It seems like she's mostly targeting him, but will also go at any of the little ladies if they get too close. I don't know if it's because he's (probably) male, or because he's a little bit bigger than the rest? I've been trying to just let them work it out, I'm sure there's some type of pecking order to be laid out, but when it gets too bad I shoo her away.
Is this a really bad sign? I was hoping to add them to the coop in the next week or two, there's no real reason to hurry I'm just kind of tired of chickens in the house, lol.

What should I be doing?

Add some extra wire around your crate so no one can get pecked, it can take about 2 weeks for older hens to get used to seeing the little ones so don't rush the actual combining, and when you do watch them and put them away when you can't, until you are certain everyone can take care of themselves.

I put up a temporary pen when I am integrating so I have somewhere for my young ones to go inside the coop, and I will lock them inside by themselves so they can explore and get used to the coop. So not sure how large your coop is, but a temporary pen can be set up with a bit of wire and some ingenuity.

^^^X2. I'm also a big fan of the squirt bottle during integration and other situations (digging in the garden, perimeter training) . It's just animal behavior. If there is a reward (new chick goes away, I eat the plants and veggies,roo attacks a kid they run away) the behavior will increase. If the behavior has a negative impact (every time I peck it, it rains on me, ) the behavior will decrease. I worry posting this, but it works. Positive punishment.

Last edited:
I ended up putting the crate inside the run and shutting the door for a few hours, everyone could still see each other through the sides but no one could actually get hurt. Worked really well until my older birds realized they couldn't get back into their house, lol. I didn't have any extra wire to reinforce the crate, but I'll pick some up tomorrow and try that. It's a pretty good sized crate, I might try to weather proof a corner of it and just use that as a temporary home for them and let them roam around the enclosed run while the older ones are out wandering.

So I wrapped the crate in wire, made sure there were no sharp edges or anything, put a little weather proof "house" in it, secured a feeder and waterer, and put a few inches of dirt on the bottom to cover the grate of the cage, put a roost bar in there, and stuck it in the run up against the coop. They're SO happy out there, I decided to let them stay. This will be their first night outside, and I'm ridiculously nervous. I'll probably check on them 80 times, lol. I don't even know why, the run is secure, the crate is secure, they're perfectly safe and happy and have everything they need and then some - My daughter (3) even gave them a doll to keep them company. I'm a nervous wreck!

I know exactly how you feel, I'm sure they will be fine, and hopefully you will be too.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom