Introducing grit?

BoerneChickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Boerne, TX
My chicks are two weeks old and I was wondering if it is too early to take them out to spend time on the grass on warm days (in a protected run of course)? Do you need to introduce grit when you do that? Where do you buy chick grit? I have read some posts that say you can use parakeet grit?
idunno.gif

I just started taking out my 3 week old bantam Ameraucana's and Australorps...its been too chilly before this past weekend. I got them some parakeet (sp?) grit at the pet store. Its smaller then the grit at the feed store. They pick up little stones and dirt outside, but I still like to give them grit. I have also started to introduce greens in their brooder.

I buy construction sand, all purpose type (not play sand) from Lowe's. 4 bucks for 50 lbs. It has little rocks in it which the chickens love. I give a small amount to chicks when they are eating things other than their chick feed. The rest of the bag I put into plastic dish pans, or kitty litter pans (I have two of them) and place those in the protected/covered part of the run so the chickens have dry sand in which to do their 'dust baths' during rainy seasons. And some I just throw out into the run. Buy a bag about every four to six months... so far.

i don't have my chicks yet, but i went to petsmart and bought some grit for pet birds....probably parakeet. i'm going to give it to them before they get any other treats other than crumble (somebody please correct me if i'm wrong). but they'll need the grit to digest plant foods and insects.

What about just scooping up some sandy pebbly dirt from outside? I was in a pinch this morning and did that. I figure that's what they'll get in a week or two anyway when I start letting them go out, so why not now? And if it has a bug or two hiding in it, all the more fun
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom