introducing new 10 week chickens

jeneanxo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
North Carolina
hello! today we are bringing home 3 new either 10 or 14 week old chickens. we will only have one 17 week old RIR to introduce them to. she has been at the bottom of the pecking order (we are returning 2 roosters today). my question is should we just let all the chickens out to free range? or should we keep the newbies in the coop for awhile so they know where "home" is? should we keep the RIR in the coop/run with them?

thanks!!

Personally i'd keep the new chickens in for a little while. So they don't wander, and they know that its their home.
thumbsup.gif

I'd keep them in for a couple days,
smile.png

Hope I could help!

You should quarantine the new birds for at least a month to make sure they're not bringing in any diseases to hurt your existing chickens.

After quarantine, it helps to have a "look but don't touch" period, too. Try to set up an arrangement where the new chickens can see your remaining chicken, but not fight with her. After a few days of this, let them mix under your supervision out in the yard. Expect some pecking/ chasing until the pecking order is settled.

Back
Top Bottom