Introducing new chickens to a new coop with existing chickens

ccpiner

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
I have two flocks of chickens that have been sharing a run separated by hardware cloth for weeks. They have now successfully integrated, although the new ones are definitely on the bottom. They are afraid of the older ones but no blood has been drawn. My problem is how to get them to go in the coop with the older chickens. I can’t lock them in for three days to get them used to it because my older hens are laying. What do you do?

Do the young ones have a roost in the chick coop?
If they do I’d let the young ones choose where they want to sleep if its not too much work to clean 2 coops.
But if they still sleep in a nest. I would train them too sleep on a roost (put them up on a roost after sunset). Most chickens will learn to roost quicker if trained.

Let them share the run for a few days, and then block access to their 'old' coop. Watch and see...
Access is blocked but they will not go in the main coop. I literally am having to chase them down to put them in at night. I hope They’ll get it soon. They are afraid of the older hens. I say older but they are only 4 months older. They are definitely living as two separate flocks in the same run. They are scared of the older hens.

Do the young ones have a roost in the chick coop?
If they do I’d let the young ones choose where they want to sleep if its not too much work to clean 2 coops.
But if they still sleep in a nest. I would train them too sleep on a roost (put them up on a roost after sunset). Most chickens will learn to roost quicker if trained.
They were in a crate in the sectioned off area and I really would like them in the bigger main coop. It’s just safer. The run is fully enclosed but the crate doesn’t provide enough protection from the weather.

I took a 3 hour class on the basic information on how to raise chickens, held by the local community college. The instructor told us to make sure younger chickens are almost the same size as older chickens and then sneek them onto the roost at night
They are 18 weeks old and the same size now. They’ve lived side by side separated by hardware cloth for two months. I’m putting them in at night now but they will not go in on their own. They are terrified and it’s like chasing cats trying to get them in.

They are 18 weeks old and the same size now. They’ve lived side by side separated by hardware cloth for two months. I’m putting them in at night now but they will not go in on their own. They are terrified and it’s like chasing cats trying to get them in.
When my husband finishes our coop, it will have two separate sides, but only separated with hardware. Lotus. One side will be the main coop and the other will be the brooder section. I still have to come up with a plan for an isolation coop for sick or injured chickens.

Back
Top Bottom