Introducing New Chickens

CC Lefty

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
San Joaquin Valley, CA
Hello all, I'm new to the site and new to chickens. I bought several layers and a freezer full of meat chickens this past spring and have really enjoyed the experience. I've lurked here for months and have noticed, from time to time, people's concerns with introducing new chickens to the flock. Since this spring I have introduced three new groups (2 chickens at a time) to the flock and aside from the seemingly normal pecking order routine, things seem to be just fine. I guess my real question is, can this have any adverse effects that I'm not aware of? Does it get in the way of egg production? I'm planning on adding a few Andalusians and Marans in a few months and would love to know some of your experiences. Thanks in advance.

smile.png

I'm new to this chicken stuff, but I've not had any trouble intoducing new chickens or chicks to my flock. The last time I added a laying hen, it was a couple of days before she layed an egg, but she's been steady since then. I think she was in poor condition though so that may have had as much of an affect as the new location.

Maybe someone with more experience will answer.

There are a lot of people on BYC who have had issues with chickens either bringing new diseases into their flocks, or having the new chickens fall ill after introduction. It can be devastating, and cause you to lose, or have to cull, the entire flock. If you do not want to go through the steps of quarantine, please make sure that the chickens you purchase are from a healthy flock and raised well. If they don't fight to the point of drawing blood, then your introductions are going well as far as pecking order issues.

I don't know about Lefty, but I'm still doing a 30 day quarantine on any new birds, I was just talking about once they meet each other, they seem to be getting along fine.

I'll be getting day old chicks and raising them seperately for the first 8-10 weeks. After that, I'll be introducing them slowly, seperating them by a fence for the next few weeks. It seems to have worked well so far, minor squabbles, but no blood. Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom