Introducing New Chickens

ChickenGeorge

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
I found a lady who needs to sell 9 year and a half old RIR. I am going to get them tomorrow. That gives me 21 laying hens, and 25 that are two weeks old. My question is is there any thing I need to do special to introduce them to one another?

Keep your new hens away from your current hens for at least three weeks to be sure the new hens don't have anything that can pass to your current hens (incubation period).
From there, see if there is a way you can seperate the two groups but keep them close enough to see each other. What I do is put the new group in a chicken tractor in the run of the other group. That way, they can get used to each other without being able to fight.
It is very stressful to them when you add new members because they have to hash out a new pecking order. Introducing them with a barrier before you let them all together is the least stressful way.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Well forget the RIR, I called the lady back Saturday morning to get directions, she had told me she was going to be out Friday evening, well she said a lady stopped by Friday evening, and bought them all. I said mam I thought we had a deal, all she said was I am sorry.

Anyway, I called the man I bought my other ones from and went and got 6 more Dominques, 2 more Black Giants, and a red one that I don't know what it is.

Quote:
Spoken like a true chicken addict!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom