Introducing new chicks to established flock

mlterry

Songster
Apr 29, 2015
I just picked up 6 pullets. I is a week old and the others only a couple of days. When can I put them in a separate coop withing the chicken run and then when can I let them mix with the others that are about 1 1/2 years old?

You can put them in a cage within the coop, or a safe predator proof brooder/cage in the run right away if you have a heat source available. Check out: Mother heating pad cave, and wool hen for some options that go beyond the typical heat lamp brooding. The benefit of brooding in the coop is that it allows the chicks and hens to get used to each other so integration can happen seamlessly at 3 - 9 weeks of age. But, you must have a coop/run big enough, and set things up the right way in order to be successful.

Thank you both for your help. I can run a heat lamp to the coop to keep them warm but it is in the 70's during the day. I also like the idea that they can get used to each other if they are close together.

If you'd like to read about the psychological aspects of early chick integration, I wrote an article about it for BYC, linked below.

The big advantage of getting your chicks into the flock immediately rather than later is that the chicks will become accepted members early on. They also will have the opportunity to observe the adult individuals, learning temperament traits and this enhances their safety and security.

The idea of putting the little's in early is a great idea. I'll wait until they are a little older I think, but thanks for the great articles.

If you have power in your coop for heating the chicks, the heating pads are safest.
I'd get them out there at around 1 week old. Best to have them live in the coop, separated by wire from the flock for a few weeks before allowing them to use the tiny doors. I put them out at 1-2 weeks, then open tiny doors at about 3-4 weeks, the smaller they are the better the tiny doors work.

Back
Top Bottom