Introducing new ducklings

Bevy326

Chirping
Aug 19, 2018
Hello I'm new to the duck owning world. In June I had gotten 3 baby welsh harlequins and unfortunately for reasons unknown 2 of the 3 died. One was within the first week and the other at about 4 weeks. Anyway I have a new flock of 5 coming in about a week. I've read about introducing new ducklings to older ducks, but it is the same process to introduce them to a younger one? I know beverly is super lonely and I am anxious to get her new friends to her as soon as possible, but I of course want to do it the right way. She is about 2 months old at this point.

Hello I'm new to the duck owning world. In June I had gotten 3 baby welsh harlequins and unfortunately for reasons unknown 2 of the 3 died. One was within the first week and the other at about 4 weeks. Anyway I have a new flock of 5 coming in about a week. I've read about introducing new ducklings to older ducks, but it is the same process to introduce them to a younger one? I know beverly is super lonely and I am anxious to get her new friends to her as soon as possible, but I of course want to do it the right way. She is about 2 months old at this point.
I too am new to duck owning so can't advise but I can tell it didn't work for us, the new elder ducks bullied ours terribly and ours were so scared they took to hiding in bushes and wouldn't dare come out, they even tried to attack our chickens as well so we got rid of them and opted for two younger instead which has worked out lovely - however we had professional breeders/farmers tell us if we gave it time things would calm eventually, would take a couple of months or so but everyone would get to know their place in the pecking order but we didn't want to, so we gave them back to the seller and replaced with the ones we have now.

I hope it all works out for you :)

Welcome to BYC!
If she's two months old, I think it would be fine to introduce the 5 to her but I would keep an eye on their behavior. If they chase her or dont let her get to the feed, (or vice versa) I would put up a greeting pen where they can see each other and be next to each other but cant touch each other.

Meet and greet pen is the way to go. Your new ones will be too young to be outside over night but during the day when it’s nice and warm they can go out for visitation. Once they are real sturdy on their legs try putting them all together while tossing out treats dried meal worms work good this way you can observe how your older one will act towards the younger. 3 months and 3 days is way to far apart in age to just put them together. It will work out and you’ll have one flock if you go about it slowly. You never know Beverly may just take over big sister role.

Welcome to BYC!
If she's two months old, I think it would be fine to introduce the 5 to her but I would keep an eye on their behavior. If they chase her or dont let her get to the feed, (or vice versa) I would put up a greeting pen where they can see each other and be next to each other but cant touch each other.

Great thank you for the information! I'm excited for her to have some companions. She's fine if either my husband or I are with her, but she quacks very loudly if we leave her alone. I got her some stuffed animals and a mirror. She likes to sleep next to her mirror.

Back
Top Bottom