introducing new members to the flock

Well, some time overnight Monday morning, Ruby made her way back into the pen with my other chickens and when I made it out to check on them yesterday morning. I found her in the pen by herself and I am assuming that it was Roy that attacked her. Her eyes are swollen shut and her head is bloody, not actively bleeding but she has not opened her eyes yet. I am hoping she will bounce back like she did last time, but I am at a loss of how to help her. I don't want her lonesome but I don,t want her bullied either.

I have lost miss Ruby, she died day before yesterday, but for the newbies........... things seem to be going well. I have opened the crate for them to mingle with the older ones, and so far there's no blood. I do notice the pecking order has the newbies on the bottom. They are still running from the others. I have put out treats for them and the newbies are very timid of the others and let them get their full first. The older ones go into the coop at night and the newbies are roosting on top of the dog crate they have been in, Ithink eventually I will remove it and see what happens. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to try anything that has worked for them. Thank you, I enjoy the support i have had shared so far and look forward to more.
My ducks on the other hand, have grown so fast and are getting to the point where when I come out to give them treats. When I drain and refill there little pond to swim in they come out of their duck house and want me to spray them with the hose. I had no idea ducks were soooo messy , but they are so fun to interact with. I have even bought minnows for them to chase in their pond which is actually a stock watering tub.
Oh, well that's all I have for an update right now. Iwill check back in a couple of days and see what comes in. God Bless you all!!!

Thank you for letting us know what's going on! Did she die from the other chickens? I just recently put my three baby ducklings in tonite for the first time with the whole flock and my other ducks. I tried two days letting them hang out with the rest of the birds and everything was good. No biting or fighting. I went outside tonite to find them not with the rest of the group but outside huddled in a corner. I put them inside the coop and locked them up (fox had been wandering around lately), and I locked up my three frizzle chicks in with the rest of the birds as well, I would not have done this if they have been fighting, but my chicken run is quite big now and they have space to get away if they do get chased! I'm hoping this works! I have 25 more chicks that I need to sell but if I can't I guess I'll have to keep them lol! Integration has gone well so far...but you NEVER know. Again I am sorry for your loss, it is not easy...
1f614.png

I'm not really sure if it was the other chickens sensing that there was something wrong or if it started with them picking on her. I do know that the last time they got her, her head was bloody and she would keep her eyes closed most of the time. I separated her and kept her in a hutch, in a smaller pen than the other but she was able to interact through the fence. I was surprised to see the other hens roosting out of the hen house next to her at night. Oh well, life goes on and I will continue attempting to raise chickens and ducks. who knows, possibilities are endless.

My newbies are loose in the pen and there's been no blood! There is definitely a pecking order but........ I have yet to see the newbies roost inside the hen house. Temperatures are nearing triple digits so the egg production is dwindling down. When the newbies start laying, we'll have more than enough. I am sooo looking forward to the additions to the flock.

I'm loving my chickens and ducks so much, we now have a pig named Albert. My cousin had him, but lives next to a golf course and had to re home him. The adventure continues!...................

Well that was a mistake to put the pigs pen next to the chickens. Now, I'm down to three barred rock pullets, after one of them over shot the fence and landed in the pen with Albert, He ate her. I'm rethinking my pig placement.
I had no idea that pigs would chase down and eat chickens.

Well that was a mistake to put the pigs pen next to the chickens. Now, I'm down to three barred rock pullets, after one of them over shot the fence and landed in the pen with Albert, He ate her. I'm rethinking my pig placement.
I had no idea that pigs would chase down and eat chickens.
Oops! Pigs will eat about anything if it's easy to get in their mouths....not sure a pig would actually chase a chicken down, but maybe.

this is me introducing the new flock/babies to my girls that are 1 month and 2 weeks old. The production reds were not happy. the other really did not pay them to much mind.

Back
Top Bottom