Introducing new pullets to 2 bantams

colleentara

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Hi there-- I have 2 bantams in my backyard coop that have stopped laying. They are my only 2 chickens -- but I built a coop big enough for eight. I'm about to order 6 pullets--probably Rhode Island Reds & Easter Eggers. I've read that the new full size girls might pick on my little old ladies.. I know that I should introduce them for a few weeks before keeping them in the same coop and also let them free range together.
I don't have another coop to keep the new pullets in... I could pull out my bantams and keep them in something smaller but feel badly doing that because the coop is 'their' coop.
I would love suggestions on how to make this a smooth transition.... what to do? I'm (obviously!) new at this!
Thanks so much!

if you can put the new pullets in a pen in your coop so your banties can see them when they are 6wks old.then in a week or 2 you can prolly turn them loose with the banties.

Geeze, I don't know. I think that's the same question I'm trying to answer, 'cept with more birds.
I have four Reds from a previous flock (they've gone to heaven and into our tummies), When I got a new
batch of meat birds the hens attacked them relentlessly, despite the fact that all of them had plenty of room
to roam. So, I'm wondering how to introduce new birds into a flock too.

Back
Top Bottom