Introducing new roo - one bold hen

Peeps n Bees

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2015
Albany, NY
We're in the process of introducing a new roo to our existing flock of 8 hens. (He's already through quarantine.) At the moment, he's in a large dog crate inside the run. Most of the hens are alternately curious about him or ignoring him, which seems like a good sign. But there's one hen (Moo) who is more aggressive than the others. She pecks at him through the cage, and this morning I watched them face off for about 10 minutes--both had their hackles raised, and she was trying to chest bump him through the bars. He didn't seem like he was going to stand down, though.

The hens are about 1 year old and have never been around a rooster. The roo is about 2 years old and was taken from a flock where he was picked on by another roo. We've never had roosters, so I don't have any comparison, but he seems like a big dude. He's a wyandotte, so not diminutive. Definitely a lot bigger than the hens.

I'm wondering how long we should keep him separated. Do we wait until all the hens have settled down, including Moo? Or if the majority seem chill with him, do we let him out so he and Moo can duke it out? This is his second day in the crate in the run.

I’ve never introduced a roo to hens. Only had one Roo who grew up with my hens, but when we gave our roo to a small farm, he had to fight their existing roo for several days before they each claimed “their” space in the yard. Id say if most are fine, let him lose. He will dominate eventually

I see a general recommendation for a week of see-don't-touch before letting the birds mingle.

If the hen in question is the dominant bird in the flock there may be a power struggle that *could* but won't inevitably be physical. Such a struggle looks horrible to humans -- as one of our esteemed members always says, "Chicken sex is not for the fainthearted". But if there is no serious physical damage done we shouldn't interfere.

If the hen in question is the bottom bird in the pecking order she's trying to get one up on the newcomer while he's unable to strike back and it should sort itself out once he's loose. :)

Adding a rooster is the easiest of introductions. A full grown rooster will not need a week see no touch. Just let him out. He is going to ruffle some feathers, but more than likely they will all be in love by morning, including Moo.

If you are very worried about it, let them out of the coop into your yard, or 'free range' area and then let him out. He will do some wooing, some feather ruffling, some tidbit ting. And there might be a bit of a flair up, but unless someone is bleeding leave them be. He will follow the girls back to the coop at night.

He may not roost with them the first night, but he will by the end of the week.

Mrs K

I'm willing to bet your brave hen is going to get a quick lesson. It won't take much. They're all born with that instinct to follow the rooster. The ones who forget it... will quickly remember when he pecks their side as a 'friendly' reminder.

Back
Top Bottom