Introducing our 11 week old pullet to 23 day old chicks

jktowey

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2015
I posted before about how and when to introduce our pullet to some new chicks. We bought the chicks two days ago, and currently have them in a large, plastic dog kennel in the sun room, where our pullet frequents to eat and drink, and where she currently sleeps at night. It's been suggested to have a kennel in the coop to help with introductions of the three before allowing the younger chicks to be around our older pullet full time. However, it looks like the coop we bought (arrives today) will not be big enough to hold the kennel.

We've tried having all three out in our living room (so we can be close by in case we needed to intervene) and the older one seems curious, but otherwise indifferent to the younger chicks as long as they are not too close to her. When they do come close, she'll either puff up, or give them a small peck, but does not chase them if they cower or run the opposite way. I looked up how chickens establish their pecking order, and this seems to be what she is doing.

Can we keep letting them have time freely together throughout the day as a way to integrate them, since we aren't able to have the kennel in the coop?

If all she is doing is telling them to back off and they obey... you can let them interact. Do watch for a few weeks while the chicks are still in the brooder. You are going to be acting as a surrogate broody. I would also suggest you move the arena for the interaction outside. When the chicks are a couple of weeks old make a place outside next to the pullet for visits during the day. Your small number of birds makes it easy to watch for problems. Things may change as they get older, but I would expect that they will have formed a pecking order by then and work it out themselves.

Okay. We don't have the coop fully set up yet, but were allowing the three to roam our sun room in 30-45 minute sessions throughout the day. One of the chicks has tried to, what looked to be, challenge our older pullet, and we've intervened when we see it happen. Today, our older pullet has also now taken to following the chicks and pecking them, so we're keeping them separated via kennel, only allowing free interaction for shorter (15minute) periods of time. Should we be intervening this much? The pecks cause the little ones to chirp loudly but no blood is drawn and neither is missing any feathers.

Well, as long as the chicks have a refuge away from the pullets pecking, just let them work it out.
Chicks should have food/water in the kennel tho.

Okay. We do have food and water in the kennel for them. Today has been better - if the older one chases them, it's usually to put them in the kennel or a corner then backs off... Like she's herding them, almost. We've continued to keep a close eye on them. At what point will we know that they've established their pecking order? Even though the pecking has decreased a lot since yesterday (barely any today, actually), the older one still keeps to herself.

Back
Top Bottom