Introducing pullets to my hens....

hazen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 6, 2011
Memphis
Any suggestions when the time comes for me to introduce my new chicks to their grown up "sisters".....

I like to add them to the coop at night, when everyone is groggy. By morning, they've forgotten who was or wasn't there the day before.

I tried daylight intro, and the Mean Girls want to peck her to death - but mine is only about 3 months old. I have a separate shelter - a pet carrier with a waterproof 'bag' over it that I have put under the nest box for her. She's going in at night on her own now, and separate from the big girls, but how to transition her to the big house when she's big enough to hold her own?
just take out the shelter and put in the hen house?

How old do the pullets need to be to be left to fend for themselves??

Good post! I have the same question. I have 8, two year old girls, and just bought 12 chick's last weekend and will be facing the same issue's in a few months.

I have eight 8 month olds and have 27 new chicks coming this week. There will be three roosters in this batch of 27, but how to introduce them to their seniors and when???
I will be whatching this thread, great question!!
lol.png

Pick out a corner of the pen and erect a temporary day nursery. When the chicks start to feather out, around three or four weeks, let them start spending time outside on nice days. If there's enough space for them to run and try out their tiny wings, even better. This will start giving the old crew time to get to know the new crew without anyone getting hurt or bullied. I keep the pet transport inside their pen for them to go in and nap or cuddle together to get warm.

About a week before you plan on moving them out of the brooder and into the coop, open little doors from the nursery pen into the main pen so the youngsters can begin to get used to life with the big girls. They'll be anxious to explore the world on the other side of the fence, but they'll quickly learn that safety lies through their escape hatches. Also, it's very important that they have their food and water where the older ones can't prevent them from eating.

Having this panic room makes integration so much easier on everyone, mostly you. It keeps the bullying down to a minimum, and after a few weeks, the youngsters will have learned their ranks in the pecking order and everyone should be pretty comfortable with each other.

When I move the youngsters into the coop, I usually put them inside a few hours before roosting and after the older girls have finished laying for the day. Keep the older ones out until the last minute, then let them in. The youngsters should be comfortable with their new digs by this time and roosting. The older girls will usually roost without incident, but you'll need to be prepared to referee for a couple weeks. The most important thing to keep the peace is to keep the youngsters from roosting in between any of the older girls. They usually resent that.

Every flock has its own quirky problems when integrating a new crew, but these tips ought to get you well into the process with a minimum of fuss.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom