Introducing SIX chicks into a slightly older "flock" of only 2 chicks

lilbeastpdx

Songster
6 Years
Apr 6, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Hi Everyone,

I have six chicks entering their sixth week that I would like to move from the brooder box into the main coop. The temps here in Oregon are very warm, so I am not worried about them being cold (but they are nearly completely feathered out anyway).

I already have two hens that are three months old in the coop. They appear very docile and sweet, and they don't seem to have much of a pecking order for two, but I know chickens can butcher babies if not done correctly.

Do you have any advice here? Since I have so many birds, I thought they might be okay if I put them all together (as far as bullying goes) at this point? Should I wait until I can be home and watch them for the day? I really need to get them out of the brooder box, and dividing the coop is not really an option. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The two older hens are aracauna mix with cochin and/or marans.

The six younger chicks are a mix: 4 polish, 1 SLW, and 1 marans

Thanks for your thoughts!

The way I introduced mind face to face was to throw scratch and let them eat together, so they were preoccupied with eating instead of getting in trouble. They had a few sessions of that over a week or two before I locked them in together. I was confident that the pecking order was established and they were safe.

Yours are close to the same age, so you probably don't have to be as careful I I was.

Last edited:
The way I introduced mind face to face was to throw scratch and let them eat together, so they were preoccupied with eating instead of getting in trouble. They had a few sessions of that over a week or two before I locked them in together. I was confident that the pecking order was established and they were safe.

Yours are close to the same age, so you probably don't have to be as careful I I was.

Okay I think I understand. You'd let them eat together for a little bit, and then you'd separate them again? Is that correct?

Okay I think I understand. You'd let them eat together for a little bit, and then you'd separate them again? Is that correct?

That's just what I did, and it worked great for my birds. A lot of people suggest putting them in a cage within the run or on opposite sides of the fence. I was going to do that, but I thought I'd introduce them while free ranging a couple times first, and they got along so well I felt safe putting them together. I think when you only have two birds they are longing for more company.

That's super helpful. I did wonder if it would help that my "main" flock is only two birds, and very young birds as well. If it was the reverse, introducing two to an existing flock of six, that it might be more difficult.

I will definitely try this...I can monitor everything and make sure it goes smoothly.

Thank you!

Yes, do it when you have the day to watch.

The numbers may help...but it's still a territory invasion from the main flocks perspective.
Visual contact before physical contact for a couple weeks or more can really help so if there's any way to set that up...maybe split your run?
How big is coop and run(feet by feet)?

You might also think about putting the older 2 in a crate and let the youngers have the coop for a day to get acclimated and 'homed' to the coop.

Do you free range? That can be a good way for them to meet, but the youngers need a place to go at night......
.......why they need to be 'homed' to the coop or some other secure enclosure.

Lots of space helps a lot.
Lots of places to hide out of line of sight(but not trapped) and/or up and away from the olders will help.
Multiple feed/water station are a must.
Separate roosts too as the olders probably won't let the younger on their roost at first.

Pecking order will happen, as long as no one in bloodies badly or pinned down and beaten, let them work it out.

Hope some of that helps.

Thanks so much. My coop and run are plenty big enough, it's just awkward to try and divide either one because of the layout. However, putting the two large ones in a big crate could be a great idea. It would be MUCH easier to do that (and confine them to one end of the coop with the hatch to the run) and let the littler ones run around the other side.

I did put three of the six in with the two bigger ones last night. Only one of them went after them and pecked four or five times and stopped. In fact, the two bigger girls seemed scared of the little ones haha. :)

I've used a dog crate with the door removed and some mesh over the front with a smaller opening too.

ETA:just realized the pic was the first iteration, before I removed door and made a better front mesh piece.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom