Introducing swans

tonini3059

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Southwestern PA
I figured I would make a new post since it would likely get my question answered. I will give some background info first. I purchased a sibling pair of mute swans about a month ago. I am not sure if they are a male and a female, I am assuming so based on size differences, but I am going to DNA test them to find out for sure. I would have prefered an unrelated pair but the price, location and everything else were perfect so I got them anyway. Now I see that josebeth1 has a juvenille female the same age as ours and I would like to replace the female I have now with the one josebeth has available.
Now my question is how can I go about introducing the new female to my male? Can I just put her on the pond with him and they will pair up? Also how long before I get this new female do I have to get rid of my current female?
I am new to swans so any advice would be appreciated. I hope everyone understands what I am trying todo and what my questions are, but if you do not just ask and I will answer them the best that I can.

never hurts to aks anything!
Just drop her off in the pond, they'll be just fine. You'll need to mark/band the new one so you can tell who's who. You can also vent sex they if you dont want to dna sex them and pay all that money and have to wait a week or better to find out.
They will pair up soon, but will be a while before you get any eggs out of them if they are 09's
Hope this helped, congrats on the swans they are a beautiful bird. Did you get mutes or some of our wilds??

Thanks for the info. They are Mutes. I love the Trumpeters and would love to get a pair, but the permits would be a pain PA is so strict on everything!

That stinks, didnt realise PA individually regulated them. They are a migratory bird so they usually fall under federal permits??
Each state is different I guess. Federal permits are easy to get, actually just to keep them all you have to have is the permit receipt that your breeder will give you. As for selling them, then you would have to get your own breeders license, but they are cheap and easily obtained.
Good luck with them, check on PA laws, it may just be the federal one you need if you really want some trumpeters, they and the whoopers are very nice, and not too terribly expensive, $500-$1000 a pair dependant on age.
Fee free to ask if you have any more questions,
Aubrey

Back
Top Bottom