Introducing young pullets to Hens

Dec 25, 2023
Washington State
I currently have 8 hens around 6-9 months of age. We just got these four girls 2 weeks ago. Ranging from 9-13 weeks. My question is how do I go about introducing them into the older flock and hoping they are safe? Making sure they go into the coop as well? I’m so nervous!
IMG_0462.jpeg

Have them in a separate portion of the run where they can see each other but can't touch and keep them like that for at least a week but maybe a bit longer and then let them mingle but keep a close eye on it. There will be some pecking and chasing, but step in if it gets too bad and separate them for a bit longer and try again in a week or so. The amount of time it'll take will depend on the temperments of the birds involved, just proceed slowly

Have them in a separate portion of the run where they can see each other but can't touch and keep them like that for at least a week but maybe a bit longer and then let them mingle but keep a close eye on it. There will be some pecking and chasing, but step in if it gets too bad and separate them for a bit longer and try again in a week or so. The amount of time it'll take will depend on the temperments of the birds involved, just proceed slowly
We have had them in their crate for the last week in the run. So far, there has been some pecking when we have introduced them but nothing extreme. My husband couldn’t get the little back in their cage and had to run to an appointment and they were all in the run together for a few hours. Just worried about doing it full time. Want to make the right choice since this is my first time.

Sounds good so far, I would wait a few more weeks before letting them roost together but as long as there's no major aggression and the chicks have places to hide from the adults if needed I would cautiously say they can spend days together, but watch them carefully

I have 8 hens and hatched 10 chicks 4 weeks ago, the times that they have gotten out while I am trying to replace their feed and water, only the bottom of the pecking order and my trouble making hen attacked them. They are otherwise left alone. My suggestion would be to introduce them when they have all been fed and won't peck at the others in case they go near their feed. I currently have all my 4 week old chicks in an enclosure with their brooder plate where they are seen by the other hens and have been having them there throughout the day since they were a week old. By the time they are ready to be integrated into the flock, they will be used to each other.

Back
Top Bottom