Introduction to BYC

chickensandhappiness

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2018
Hi!
I am a high school student from Connecticut and I have been keeping chickens for almost 5 years with my family. The girls are mostly my priority, but my dad has become as obsessive as I am. We started off with four chickens in March of 2014. 2 still remain - a rhode island red (Rosie) and a black sex link (Beauty). We then grew our flock in 2015 with 3 more girls but 2 did not make it through that year due to predators and the other recently dropped from an unknown illness. We didn't get any chickens the next year, but went back to it in 2017 with 4 more girls. 1 recently disappeared (our girls free range A LOT and are outside with dogs, cats and any other animals involved in the nature around us) so 3 remain - 2 columbian rock crosses (Ivory and Chalky) and a brown leghorn (Caramel). This past year, we grew our flock insanely and tried some new things. In May of this year, 2018, we bought 6 pullets 4 cuckoo marans (Adelyne, Ariana, Autumn and Alessia) and 2 black jersey giants (Alara and Arabella). 2 weeks after we found a silkie on my pet chicken, THE ONLY ONE AVAILABLE, and decided to purchase her along with a few other new ones. We purchased 5- 2 died 2 days after we received them, one was attacked by our dog and did not survive, and a few weeks ago a fox broke into our coop and took our cochin! So only 1 is still with us, our SILKIE (Willow). In June we decided to try ducks because my best friend had recently gotten them and I was obsessed! I bought 2 ducks, a white pekin duck (Becky) and a blue swedish duck (Beatrice). In August we decided to hatch some eggs! (If you can not tell by now, we gave my pet chicken a ton of business this year). We bought 9 eggs and added 3 mystery eggs. We got 6 eggs to hatch and as of today, we are left with 4 girls from the hatch. (These might not be accurate breeds because this is just what we see in them), we bought the fun and funky assortment; we hatched a black favaucana (Ella), a orange frizzle (Frankie), a frizzled easter egger (Tyra) and a silkie easter egger (Felicity). Overall, I currently have 16 chickens and 2 ducks! I enjoy being able to interact with my chickens and other people who have chickens. They are so fun and cute and are like collectables with actual personalities and needs. There are so many different breeds and kinds of poultry that all possibilities seem endless! When I am not chicken keeping, I am playing sports and focussing on my studies. I hope to go to business college and major in marketing and eventually have my own place to do my own chicken and duck keeping on the side. I have 3 siblings, 2 older (one moved out) and one younger who occasionally helps me with the chooks and ducks. My mom isn't very fond of the chickens but she does love to talk to them and give them treats on Spring/Summer days. My dad practically knows more about chickens than I do and is the one to ask when I want more chickens ;). Anytime I search up a question on google, BYC pops up and someone always has an answer so I wanted to be apart of the community. So here is my introduction! Have fun reading this essay I have written about a hobby of mine that is growing each and everyday. Stay happy and take care of your girls, as I will mine!

Last edited:
Bonjour :frow and welcome from France! How lovely that you have found such a great hobby so young! Good luck to you.
full

Back
Top Bottom