Introduction to BYC

We are a multigenerational household, and until recently our little grandsons lived here too. My daughter in law grew up with chickens and knew I have long wanted them.
She and our youngest daughter bought 5 chicks; 2 buff Orpington, 1 Barredrock, 2 Americana, and we adopted a big brahman. Our son says the real joke is, “Which came first the chicken or the coop?” In our case we quickly added a less than ideal store bought coop for the chicks and built a run.
We lost some of our delightful flock to coyotes and had to give away my beloved remaining 3 because of a surgery and recovery that had me down. But we adopted a 7 year old Buff who spent her overly cold winter nights in a dog crate in our family room She was present for our family Christmas as temperatures hit below freezing. She is now almost 10 and still lays 4-5 eggs a week.
Recently we gave the old Buff 10 new chicks including a couple bantam chickens, and a naked neck. We all live on our almost one acre 15- 20 minutes from downtown Portland OR.
I love these crazy birds, they are definitely quirky. They make me laugh and we have a sweet life together. They are grounding, and ‘typically’ make me feel peaceful. They love it when I sing, the kids play outside, or the guys are outside working. Thankfully they have made friends of all the neighbors. Of course that means that keeping them in the yard is sometimes challenging.
I really know very little still and find that I have more questions than understanding. I am very thankful to have a place to ask my questions.
Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom