Introduction

Paintingducks

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2023
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I rescued a duckling that had been dropped by a hawk (the crows made him do it) on my way to work in May of 2022 - I couldn't find it's home so I kept her in my office all day with water. Drove to tractor supply after work, bought everything needed to keep her alive and happy along with two other babies that looked similar to her. Raised them, built a nice pen for them, a big coup/house for them and they can free range in my backyard that is all fenced in - My rescue girl - named Lucky - turned out to be a Mallard. She started flying away each evening (August/September) and returning each morning to hang around with the other girls all day and leave at dusk. Then, she flew away one night late September/early October and just didn't come back the next day. She found her mate and is living happily ever after.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 6 ducks - 1 male Cayuga, about 23 to 25 weeks old. 5 females - 2 Pekin, about 23 to 25 weeks, 1 Cayuga 23 to 25 weeks, 1 Rouen 23 to 25 weeks, and 1 Rouen 15 to 16 months old

(3) What breeds do you have? Rouen, Cayuga, and Pekin

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? They are so much fun to hang out with and watch. Great personalities. They free range my backyard when I'm home and they hang out with my two dogs (they'll all sleep in the grass together - the ducks in between the dogs). My dogs are 105 to 110 pound black lab/retriever mixes and were introduced to the "babies" as soon as we brought them home so they all get along great.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I love to read, taking crochet classes, baking, spending time with family - especially my five grandchildren

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My husband and I own a residential painting company and have been in business for 26 years. We love to cruise in the winters. We're very particular about our yard, gardens, etc and enjoy working in them. I work part time at a day spa/salon at the desk and in charge of inventory/ordering. We have 5 grown children and 5 grandchildren that all live with 15 miles of us so I get to spend a lot of time with them and go to school functions, sports, recitals, etc.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I had questions about certain aspects of raising my ducks and your site kept showing up in Google searches and when I would read the posts they were the most helpful and not "judgy" lol. I found your site about a year ago but, decided to join because I have questions of my own that I need help with

Welcome to BYC! And thank you for rescuing a little duckling.
With so many humans around... how do you find time for your feathered friends?

Edit: forgot to say I have Cayuga's too! aren't they the best?
The grandkids are all in love with my babies - they will eat from their hands and come up to them but the only way they'll let the kids pet them is if I'm holding them. I sit outside with the ducks and read - they'll come over sometimes to rest/nap and I'll starting reading out loud to them. My husband thinks I'm crazy but they really seem to like it and sit there quietly. :)

The grandkids are all in love with my babies - they will eat from their hands and come up to them but the only way they'll let the kids pet them is if I'm holding them. I sit outside with the ducks and read - they'll come over sometimes to rest/nap and I'll starting reading out loud to them. My husband thinks I'm crazy but they really seem to like it and sit there quietly. :)
It's a good crazy in my opinion :) glad to have you here... If you have questions about your ducks there is a special duck area.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ducks.42/

for emergencies you post here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Back
Top Bottom